If you Lie Down With Dogs

Music: 24, Lana Del Rey♟️

She brought the wood in, shaking the snow off of her coat and hanging it up.

Quickly lighting the fire and sitting down with a book.

She didn't look at Duncan except for the occasional subtle glance to make sure he wasn't trying to escape.

The silence in the cabin had become deafening.

Duncan decided to disrupt it eventually, once the boredom really set in.

"If we continue like this I'm going to loose my mind." He grumbled

She smirked not looking up from her book, "All the better, your sanity is none of my concern."

He rolled his eyes, she was certainly callous.
"Couldn't we just talk? Is it really a requirement that we're both miserable here? I'm not trying to be your friend, trust me I'm no good at that."

She sighed, he wasn't going to stop bothering her, was he?

"Fine, what do you want to "Talk", about." She said sarcastically.

"Well uh... Where are you from?"

She just shook her head dismissively, burying herself further into her book.

"Okay... fine, what do you do, like for a living?"

Duncan had never been all that social, he wasn't exactly sure what to talk about. He just knew anything was better than sitting in silence any longer.

"Next." She chuckled, did he think this was some kind of goddamn interview?

He sighed at her stubbornness.
"This is doing nothing to keep me sane."

She closed her book, giving him an ingenuine smile.
"Oh I'm so sorry, I'm afraid I don't have any toys to keep you occupied. It's your goddamn cabin anyway, you think of something to do." She said becoming annoyed with him.

"How the fuck am I supposed to do that strapped to this goddamn chair?" He retorted losing his patience.

"Watch yourself Vizla, I have no good reason to put up with your bullshit. It'd be best to remember that."
She shot back sternly.

This was hell, Duncan hated being talked down to like that.
But he did have to keep in mind she was in control here.

"Okay, I understand. But would it kill you to tell me a bit about yourself, what's the harm in confiding in a dead man, unless you're not confident you can finish the job?"
He said raising an eyebrow challengingly.

"I have no doubt that you're utterly doomed, maybe I just don't like talking to you?"
She said, a subtle smile playing on her lips.

He noticed.
"Yeah I get it, you hate my guts. You're not the first, but you've hardly gotten through one page of your book, clearly you're bored too. How about we make a deal?"

She stifled her laughter at his proposition.
"Make a deal with a hostage oh f#ckin sure, what a splendid idea."
She said sarcastically.

"Seriously it won't be anything drastic, just hear me out, please?"

She rolled her eyes and answered.
"Fine, but don't waste my time."

Smiling, he finally had something something to work with.

"So all you have to do is answer some questions, have a normal conversation. As hard as that may be for you. And I'll tell you where I keep the food."
His expression became a lot more smug as he added that last sentence.

Her face went blank for a second, was it not just stored around the kitchen?

She quickly stood up ignoring him and began searching the cabin.
He just watched her with an amused stare.

"You won't find it, and I'm happy to starve with you." He chuckled

After going through every cupboard and drawer around the small cabin she sat back on the couch.

She definitely hadn't seen this coming.

"I have half a mind to knock you out right now, you know that?" She huffed, crossing her arms.

"But you won't."
He said quite satisfied with himself.

That Bastard.
"So let's get this straight you just want me to have an open conversation with you? Rather desperate isn't it."

"I could ask for more, you know? A whole lot more."
He mused, that same smug smile painting his face.

She glared at him, furrowing her brows. "Fine, we can have a goddamn conversation. What do you want to know?" She sighed defeatedly.

"Who do you work for, I know you're not a Damocles agent, and I'm doubtful you're dumb enough to be doing this freelance."
He'd put together that Lorelei was probably an assassin as well.
Cause of her brutal nature, her sharpened abilities, and the obvious resources she had. It seemed the most likely explanation.

"Yeah, I'm not freelance, I work for Macabre."
She said flatly, still salty about being slighted by him.

"Oh god... Why on earth would you do that?"
He asked, slightly offended by her answer.

Macabre was an organization known for having the most barbaric methods of killing.
Most of their agents were probably full on psychopaths, torturing their targets before finishing the job, often without extra payment.

Lorelei however, was not one of those agents.
She'd always strictly killed as quickly and painlessly as possible.

And truthfully she felt guilty for ever becoming involved with Macabre, but it was far too late to get out when she realized just how bad they were.

It couldn't hurt to scare Duncan just a little though, for the fun of it.

She answered as confidently as she could.
"Because I like it? Why would I do this job if I didn't enjoy the work, I didn't choose to work with them by mistake."
She said with a sickly grin, despite that being the opposite of the truth.

He should've known better than to try and hold things over her head.

This would be a little game for her, but he didn't need to know that.