12

"Listen, we ran from WCKD. We just need to find the Right Arm," I said sighing.

"Well, I might be able to help," Jorge replied. I looked up at him confused.

"You said they were ghosts?" I asked annoyed. He took a sip of his drink and set down the glass, staring at me with a soft grin. I tried pulling my hand from the tie on my wrist.

"I happen to believe in ghosts," he replied. I ran my tongue along my teeth.

"Let's make a deal. You help us find the right arm, you come with and get the credit, easy," I said leaning back against the couch. Brenda smiled at me.

"You aren't in charge here mija," Jorge said with a dry undertone. Finally undoing the tie on my hand I stood up. Jorge didn't even

"No, i'm not. You know what I am though? Valuable. You said it yourself. So maybe i'm not in charge, but i'm willing to bet I'm a lot more valuable to WCKD than you are. Oh, and I'm thinking that you don't like WCKD much, considering that if you were going to trade us back to them, we'd be in a aircraft on the way back to the installation right now. I mean you know either way we're finding the right arm, with or without you. So, deal or no deal?" I asked leaning over the desk. Jorge stared at me intrigued.

"Gotta say, you've met your match Jorge," Brenda said smiling. Jorge nodded.

"I like you mija. Hope your friends know you just saved their asses," He said reclining back in his chair.

"So we have a deal?" I asked crossing my arms.

"Deal," He said reaching out his hand. I shook it firmly. The sound of helicopter blades echoed above us. Bright lights flashed through the windows. Fuck. Brenda looked at me and over at Jorge. He walked over to a record player.

"What are we going to do?" I asked. He smiled at me.

"I'm going to play my favorite song," He said laying down a vinyl and starting it. I looked at the wires coming out of it. Holy shit. The place is going to blow.

"Come on," Brenda said grabbing my hand and pulled me behind her. We ran down a set of stairs.

"This is WCKD," Janson's voice rang out over a loud speaker. Shit. We ran down the stairs and into a large room. The gladers stood in a group in front of a tall man with a gun. He said something into a walkie talkie and cocked the gun. I quickly pulled the gun from my waist band and pulled the trigger at his back. Everyone flinched and checked to see if they were shot.

"You had that this whole time?" Brenda asked. I grinned at her.

"Cassie," Layla said in relief. She ran and hugged me tightly.

"We need to get out of here, now!" Brenda said as we ran behind her. Back up the stairs we went over to a window. Jorge stood and pulled it open. A line with handles was at the top of the window.

"Bloody hell," Newt said staring down. Fry went down first. Layla followed. Minho grabbed my arm and pulled me aside. He handed me a pocket knife. I stared at him confused.

"Minho?" I asked.

"Just take it, okay. Please," he said holding it in my palm.

"What?" I muttered hesitantly.

"Cassie. Take it," He said sighing. I put it in my pocket and pushed him towards the window. He grabbed a handle and went down. Brenda suddenly ran off to other way.

"Brenda?" I asked following her hesitantly.

"Cassie?" Newt asked as I ran off.

"Just go! I'll be right behind you," I said looking back. Running after Brenda she went into the office and shuffled through drawers.

"Brenda we have to go!" I yelled. Thomas ran up next to me. I looked over at him confused.

"Thomas what the fu-,"

"I'm not leaving you behind," he muttered staring at Brenda as she grabbed something and shoved it in her bag.

"Let's go," she said running past us. Looking up the stairs to the window panic set in as WCKD guards stood there. Looking down at us they ran down the stairs. Shit. The three of us ran across a platform. I pulled out my gun and looking back shot at two of the guards. They dropped to the ground and I kept running. Slow music played over the speakers.

"Shit Cass," Thomas said in shock looking back. We followed Brenda as she shot at two guards running at us. Guards shot at us as the bullets hit metal posts. Thomas grabbed me as we hid behind a wooden fence. I looked over the edge and shot at some of the guards. The sound of gunshots echoed through the air.

"Come on! We're running out of time," Brenda said running off. We followed her over to a row of metal beams. I looked at the ground below. If we fell we were dead. My adrenaline pumped as I followed Brenda along a beam. Keeping my arms out for balance the song ended. A loud click came from around us. The song was over. A chain of sparks lit across the ceiling. Looking back the whole places started to collapse.

"Run!" Brenda yelled in fear. I watched a WCKD guard drop to the bottom floor. We ran towards a concrete elevator shaft. As the building collapsed around us we jumped and grabbed onto the thick ropes, sliding down. Reaching the bottom a gust of rubble and flames flung us out and onto the ground. As my body hit the cold pavement everything went dark.