𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

ADELAIDE BIRCHWOOD:

ADELAIDE BIRCHWOOD:

* ˚ ✦

Adelaide kicked her feet back and forth happily as she sat with the rest of her family waiting for the performance to arrive. Mrs. Torrance was holding her annual summer recital and to try and be good neighbors, her family had decided to attend and by family she meant her cousins. Adelaide's parents were out of town for some unknown reason, they never exactly told her when they were leaving or when they were coming back, but she knew they would eventually. Until then, she was able to do almost anything she wanted. It was fun, but also quite a bit lonely... Even at eight, Adelaide was incredibly bright and intelligent beyond her years.

Still, Adelaide was happy her aunt and uncle had invited her to attend the performance along with their children. Despite them living in the same town, Adelaide didn't know much about the Torrance's. She knew from what she'd overheard her parents say that they were unnerving and bad people, but nothing else. Their son, whose name Adelaide thought was Damon or something close to that, didn't go to the same school as her and she'd only seen him at events that his parents had clearly dragged him to. He seemed shy and she felt bad for him. Maybe he needed a friend? Adelaide wasn't sure if he had any. Would that make him happier?

Suddenly, Adelaide was snapped out of her thoughts as Will, one of her cousin and her favorite by far, kicked her foot. She snapped her head towards him and was met by that gleeful smile he always wore. Adelaide kicked him in the foot as well and the two of them laughed before quickly stopping as Will's mom snapped their fingers at them.

Adelaide slouched in her chair, feeling embarrassed, before slowly turning her head towards to stage. Strangely, when she looked near the far corner of stage, she could see a head sticking out. Adelaide leaned forward as she tried to catch the person's eye before quickly noticing that it was no one other than Damon. He looked at her worriedly, as if he'd been caught of doing something terrible, but Adelaide immediately smiled at him to ease whatever worries he felt. Even from her seat in the audience, she could see the blush rising on his cheeks before he quickly scrambled away. Adelaide let out a soft chuckle at his actions as she smiled widely.

However, before she was given any more time to think about the boy, the lights in the theater dimmed as the brightness disappeared and so did the young boy forever.

* ˚ ✦

That's been almost thirteen years ago and unfortunately that version of Damon Torrance didn't exist anymore. He hadn't existed for a long time. The sweet, shy boy that'd captured her attention was instead replaced by a man who wanted to hurt anyone in whatever way he could. Even when Damon was nicer to Adelaide than he was to others, it wasn't the same. There was always a darkness lurking beneath him that he couldn't seem let go off. As if he needed to constantly feel the anger that consumed him so deeply and make sure everyone else did too.

Adelaide should've remembered that, but instead she chose to see something more in him—something that made him seem worth it. In her mind, Damon had been worth all the trouble that he caused...until he wasn't. Sometimes, you can't help someone who doesn't want to do anything to hurt everyone around them.

Maybe that's how she ended up here, staring at a text message from Rika Fane that Damon had married Arion Ashby. The thought of the two of them saying vows and sliding rings onto each other's fingers made her blood boil. Even all these years later, Damon still knew how to get under Adelaide's skin and inside her head.

The fact that he married Arion Ashby was practically a punch to the gut. Adelaide could've gotten over Damon making the video with Winter Ashby. After all, they'd been broken up for a week when it happened, but him marrying Arion Ashby of all people was disgusting. Damon knew of the family issues between her family and the Ashby family. He knew that if he wanted to really upset her all he had to do was be around the one person she hated the most. Arion fucking Ashby. That blonde bitch was Adelaide's public enemy number one and Damon being his usual self thought it'd be 'funny' to piss her off. News flash, Adelaide wasn't amused at all...

Fortunately, Damon wasn't the only one who knew how to elicit anger. As she learned from years of being in a relationship with him, Damon's temper was quick and harsh, especially when it came to her. Adelaide knew he still saw her as something that belonged to him because in his mind they never truly broke up. Even before he went to jail, Damon had told her they were only on a 'break.' She was sorry to break it to him, but she didn't think you could go on a five year break without actually being broken up.

Despite that, she knew Damon didn't care. Once he sunk his claws into you, he never let go. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't the only one who knew how to toy with people. After all, Adelaide leaned from the best.

If Damon wanted to play, they could play...

* ˚ ✦

𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫! 𝐖𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐭 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝? 𝐁𝐚𝐝? 𝐌𝐞𝐡?

𝐈 𝐝𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐫𝐞𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐈 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐥. 𝐀𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐧𝐨𝐰, 𝐈'𝐦 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐀𝐝𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭.

𝐃𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬?