Filter Kaapi

They sat on the bed. "Golusu pudichirukka?" Arun asked, yearning to see those doe eyes meet his and flash a smile but instead Seetha gently lifted her saree to look at the sparkling brand new anklet and nodded, "Azhaga irukku aana Neenga Edhukku idhellam..." He felt slightly offended and said, "Yen? Ennoda Pondaati ku naan vaangi thara koodadha?" And then he got the quick eye contact from her. Seetha quickly looked into his eyes, afraid that she had hurt his feelings, "Achacho appidi ellam illai. Edhukku ivvalo selavu nu thaan." He held the eye contact and said, "Pch.. adhellam irukattum. Pidichurukka pidikkaliya nu mattum sollu." She blushed looking away and nodded a yes. Arun said, "Vaaya Thorandhu solla maatiya?" She smiled and looked up at him, "Pidichirukku... romba pidichirukku."

There was a moment of silence when Seetha cleared her throat. Arun looked at her and asked, "Edhavudhu sollanum nu irukka?" She nodded in affirmation. "Edhuva irundhaalum sollu maa" he said slowly reaching for her hand, which she quickly moved away indicating that she was not ready for any kind of physical contact. Arun placed his hand on his lap. Seetha whispered, "Bayama irukku." Arun turned to look at her, "Yen? Bayapadaama sollu maa." She hesitated and said, "Enakku thookam varudhu." He chuckled, "Avvalo thaana? Nee paduthukko. Thoongu." She stood up and said, "Neenga kattil la paduthukongo. Naan keezha paai virichu paduthukaren."

Arun stood up and said, "Adhellam onnum vendaam. Nee mela paduthukko, naan paai la paduthukaren." She immediately gasped saying, "Achacho, thappu thappu. Adhu eppidi ungala tharaila paduthukka vekka mudiyum. Enakku paai la paduthundu pazhakkam irukku." Arun sternly said, "Enna paaru? Ennoda pecha keppiya maatiya?" Seetha looked at him worried, "Achacho Neenga kova padadhengo. Amma unga kitta anusaranaya nadandhukka solli anupeerka aana naan ungala kova paduthitten." Tears were threatening to escape her eyes and he couldn't help feeling flutters in his heart for her. She was just so adorable. "Adhellam onnum illai. Naan kochukka ellam illai. Naan sollardha kelu. Nee mela paduthukko. Enakku thookam varale. Naan andha chair la ukkandhu konja neram book padikkaren. Apparama vandhu Unna ezhuparen. Seriya?" He consoled her.

She sniffled and wiped the tears saying, "Appo seri. Aana enna ezhuppi vidanum seriya?" He smiled and nodded gesturing her to lie down. Seetha slowly crept into the bed and grabbed the blanket. She turned around to smile at him while he pointed at the book and started walking towards the chair. Seetha was extremely tired so sleep took over almost instantly. In a few minutes Arun heard a slight snore and smiled to himself. When he was sure that she had slept, he slowly pulled out the paai and grabbed a pillow from the bed gently. An extra blanket was placed in the corner which he covered himself with. The chill breeze was too cozy for him to be sleeping by himself but in no time, he too was fast asleep.

Arun woke up early to find his beautiful wife still asleep. She had a tiny smile on her face. The curtains on the window was fluttering indicating that it was windy outside. A strand of hair was covering Seetha's beautiful face. Arun took the liberty to gently push the strand away. Her face felt soft. His eyes then fell on the bright yellow thaali on her neck. It had crept out of the hide out inside her saree while she was asleep. He saree pallu had moved enough to reveal her cleavage. Arun gulped at the sight. Seetha moved a little in her sleep and so did her saree, threatening to reveal more. Arun looked away smacking the back of his head and lay flat, looking up at the ceiling fan.

He suddenly heard the sound of her anklets, followed by her voice, "Achacho,naan paatukku ippidi thoongittene." Then she gasped when she realized that he was on the floor. She quickly tied her hair up in a bun. Arun sat up and stretched his body as if he was just waking up. He turned around and looked at her. He smiled saying, "Good morning." She looked at him in disbelief, "Neenga yen enna ezhupala?" He smiled, "Nee koratta vittundu thoongeendu irundhe adhu naala thaan ezhuppale." She again replied with her, "Achacho" then her eyes went wide when she realized her pallu had fallen revealing a lot more that she anticipated. She quickly fixed it and jumped out of bed, "Naan poi kulichuttu keezha poren" and she quickly rushed into the bathroom.

Arun couldn't help but chuckle at the plight of his wife. She quickly stepped out of the bathroom again and mumbled, "Maathu thuni eduthundu poga marandhutten." He smirked and nodded while she unzipped her bag and pulled out her clothes. Arun had now taken over the bed. She stepped out after a few minutes, with a towel wrapped on her head. He tilted to the side to watch her. She took a pouch out of her bag. She gently removed the towel from her hair while drying it. Her hair automatically parted in the middle. She first applied the kumkumam there. Then she took a little bit of the cuticurra powder and rubbed it on her hands before applying it on her neck and then on her face. She then picked out the red, round sticker bindi and placed it in between her eyebrows. She then opened a little container which held the home made kajal.

She took a little bit on her index finger. She used the other hand to gently open up her eyes and applied the kajal. She blinked her eyes once before applying it on the other eye too and then blinked both eyes before taking a look at the index finger and then reaching to her head to apply the rest of the kajal there. He couldn't help chuckle. She looked at him and asked, "Edhukku sirikirel?" He asked, "Andha veral la irukara mai ya yen maa thalai la thechukkare." Seetha proudly answered, "Appidi pannina namakku thala mudi narakkave narakkadhaam. Eppovume ilamaiya therivomaam. Paati soleerka. Naan ippo keezha poren. Neengalum kulichuttu vaango."

Arun nodded as he watched his wife leave the room. He couldn't understand how a person could just walk into his life and capture his heart in a jiffy, just like that but Seetha had magically stolen his heart. He sighed and stood up stretching. He decided to follow his new wife's advice and went to the bathroom for a cold shower.

Seetha's mother in law smiled at her, when she saw her enter the kitchen, "Vaa maa Seetha. Kulichuttiya? Indha indha ennai eduthundu poi swamy ku velaketheetu vaa." Seetha nodded and did as she was told. As she stepped out of the swamy room she heard the sound of babies crying in the adjacent room. She took a peek and noticed her sister-in-law struggling with both babies. Seetha smiled and walked in asking, "Akka naan venumna kozhandhaiya vachukattuma?" Padma smiled in gratitude and handed over the 10 month old baby saying, "Anjana ku rathri ellam orey joram. Adhunaala thaan chinungeende irukka. Naan avaluku marundhu kudukara varaikkum Kichu va konjam vachukariya?" Seetha gladly nodded holding Kichu who smiled back at her cooing.

Just then Seetha heard her mother in law calling out for her and she quickly went to the kitchen. Parvathy smiled at her, "Parava illiye kozhandai adhukulla unkitta oteendutaane. Indha indha kaapi ya kondu poi unnoda aambadayanukku kudu." Seetha blushed and nodded. She went up to the room to a partially opened door. She stepped in and gasped. Arun was standing bare-chested. She looked away and extended the coffee tumbler saying, "Indhango." Arun quickly put the shirt that was lying beside him. Little Kichu jumped at the sight of Arun and he quickly grabbed the baby. He asked Seetha, "Nee kudichiya?" She asked, "Ennadhu?" He replied, "Kaapi?" She nodded, "Innum illai."

He looked at happy Kichu and started playing with him saying, "Modhalla nee kudi. Naan apparama kudichukkaren." Seetha looked at him gasping, "Achacho... naan eppidi?" He looked at her and said, "Unakku pasikkardhunu nee sollalainaalum unnoda vayaru sollardhu paaru." She touched her stomach and looked away embarrassed when she realized that he had heard it grumble. He then came close to her, looking into her eyes and said in his base voice, "Kudi maa please." His proximity made her stomach do summersaults and without batting her eyes, she took a sip of the filter kaapi.

Brinda Subramanian