Paaladai

Parvathy called out to Arun from the kitchen, "Dei Arun, avalukku kaapiyum biscuit um kudu da. Ippovum pani (joram/fever) irukka? Inge vaa. Andha neela box la maathirai ellam vachirukken paaru. Ange crocin irukku. Adha kudu." Arun followed his mom's instructions. He took the coffee, a little plate with a couple of Marie biscuits and the tablet. Seetha was lying with her eyes closed.

Arun pulled a little stool and placed the contents of his hand, on it. He gently tapped her hands and said, "Maa konjam ezhundhirundhu idha kudi." She opened her eyes slowly but winced, touching her forehead. He touched her forehead to check if it was warm and said, "Acho ippovum joram irukku." Then he slowly helped her sit up saying, "Indha idha kudichittu crocin eduthundu thoongu. Seri ayidum." She sat up and said, "Naan bathroom poitu appidi pal thechuttu varen."

He nodded, "Appidiya, seri Appo naan kooda varattuma?" Even in this health condition his statement shocked her and she gasped, "Vendaam vendaam. Bathroom ku Naane poippen." He chuckled, "Maa, bathroom ulla vara maaten maa. Nee romba tired aa irukke. Mayakkam podanama irukkanum illiya? Adhunaala koodave varen nu sonnen." She smiled feebly but pulled herself to stand up. As she started to take a couple of steps, she faltered and instinctively reached out for him and he held her hand saying, "Idhukku thaan maa sonen. Nee weak aa irukke. Vaa ennodu kaiya pudichukko." This time she did not object.

Parvathi was busy in the kitchen. She looked concerned when she saw Seetha slowly walking up to the bathroom. She said, "Seetha nee kavala padadhe kondhe. Andha crocin a eduthundu nanna thoongu. Unakku oru maasama nalla therakku allava? Kalyanam aparam pudhiya ooru pudhiya aalugal adhukku mela mazhai la vera nenajutte. Vandhadhu lerndhu adukolai velaiya vera paathudu irukkai. Adhu naala thaan ksheenam (fatigue/tired) aayirukkum. Rendu naaliki rest eduthunda seri ayidum. Naan unakku nalla molagu, jeeram ellam pottu rasam vachu tharen. Ippo kaapi yum biscuit un kazhuchuttu (Saaptuttu) marundhu eduthundu thoongikko. Arun nee andha room la Aval kooda iru da. Aparam nethiki kondu vandha kovil prasadam ellam swamy room la irukku. Avalukku andha vibuthi ya ittu vidu." Arun nodded.

He stood outside the bathroom when Seetha managed to freshen up. She wiped her face on the pallu of her saree and held on to his arm for support. He wrapped his arm over her shoulder. Seetha looked up at him and smiled. As they were passing the kitchen, she peeked in and smiled at Parvathy, "Naalelerndhu naan ella velaiyum paathukaren amma. Neengal paavam thaniya ellam pannarel." Parvathy gave her a fake stern look, "Ammadi, nee indha aathukku vardhukku minnale naan thaan ella karyamum paneendu irundhen. Enakku udambulla thembu irukku kozhandhe" and then she smiled saying, "Enakku ippovum chinna vayasu thaan. Enakku 15 liye kalyanam ayiduthu."

Seetha smiled back at her mother-in-law. Arun walked her back to the bed and helped plop up the pillow so that she could sit, "Indha maa idha koodi. Achacho kaapi Aari poiduthu pola irukke. Naan poi choodu panni eduthundu varen..." and he was about to go but Seetha held his hand and stopped him, "Illai adhellam onnum vendaam. Naan ippidiye kudichukkaren" and she took the tumbler from him. He made sure she drank it and offered her the biscuits too. She pouted at him saying, "Naakellam kasakkardhu. Enakku biscuit vendaam." He touched her head gently and said, "Edhuvum saapadama marundhu saapta vayatha perattum maa. Orey oru biscuit sapdu maa." When she refused, he used a technique, which he knew, will work. In his base voice he said, "Enakaaga saapda maatiya?"

Although she was sick, she blushed hearing that voice and she quickly ate the other piece too. He then handed her a glass of water to swallow the medicine. That's when she glanced at him embarrassed. He looked at her confused, "Enna maa aachu?" She said, "Enakku chinna vayadulerndhe marundhu muzhungardhu kashtam....adhunaale..." she hesitated. He asked, "Adhunaala?" She covered her face with her palm in embarrassment. He smiled and said, "Sollu maa. Adhunaala?" She looked up at him and said, "Paati vandhu maathraiya podichu thaen la kozhachu (mix) panni tharuva. Enga aathula kozhandhaigalukku paal kudukkara paaladai irukkum theriyuma? Adhula vachu ooti viduvaa" so saying she covered her face again and Arun couldn't help laughing.

Seetha looked up at him and frowned, "Innime naan unga kitta onnume solla maaten. Andha maathraiya thaango naan appidiye muzhingikkaren." Then she made a disgusted face saying, "Ayo kasakkume." Then she closed her eyes spoke aloud to herself, "Adiye Seetha Unna yaaru dee mazhai la poi nenaya chonnadhu? Unakku idhuvum venam innamum venum. Ippo unakku kalyanam aayachu. Inge paati illai unakku thaen la kozhachu tharadhukku. Muzhunga paduchukko." She then stretched her hand out saying, "Thango".

She heard the base voice saying, "Indha maa" handing her a spoon. She opened her eyes to see him smiling and offering a spoon to her. She looked down at the spoon. The medicine was nicely powdered and mixed in honey. She looked up at his finger which still had some honey sticking on it. He smiled at her and said, "Inge paaladai ellam illai maa. Ennala mudinjadhu spoon thaan. Parava illiya?" In spite of the fever she felt butterflies in her stomach and heart.

She said a mental thanks to her pillaiyar for sending Arun for her. He knew exactly when to treat her like his wife and when to pamper her like a child. It was just that he was showering her with love and utmost respect.

Brinda Subramanian

Brinda Subramanian

There is a pic of paaladai for those who have no clue.