Michelle

They're after me. I know it. I can feel it. I think I hear them. They might be down the block, or maybe a mile away. I don't know. I can't tell. Papa told me I would be able to tell soon. When I get older, I'll be able to tell how far away they are just by listening just like Mama. Papa's not here to help me anymore. They got him and now are coming for me. I need to stop crying and be brave like he taught me, but it's hard. It's really hard.

I look around and I just see darkness. I'm afraid to come up to the light because then they'll see me. I've gotten used to the smell down here but I haven't eaten or drank anything in a long time, and I'm getting really tired. The sewers are disgusting and I'm trying not to think about what else might be down here with me. Papa told me to run and hide and not to stop until I was sure I was safe, but I may never be safe. I don't know how long I've been down here, or how far away I've gotten, but I can still hear them. I remember every crunch of their boots, and every crisp swish of their pants, and his voice. I'll never forget his voice because that's the voice that stole my father away from me. The other man that was with him had a weird heartbeat. That's what I listen out for. The crisp swish, the weird heartbeat, and the man with the scary voice.

The scary man is speaking again. "Michelle Martinez. Ten years old. Orphan. Principle of sound. She'll hear us coming. Subject may hear us now." There is a click and all I can hear is the swish and the heartbeat. I think he was making a recording.

I hear another click. "Alejandro Martinez. 39 years old. Father of one. The last Principle of time. Subject terminated."

"Papa," I whisper in pain.

Not before long, I hear another click. "Desiree Saunders. 24 years old. No family documented. Principle of air. Subject relocated."

Another click. "Tyler and Trent Ringer. 15 years old. Children of operatives. Principles of motion. Subjects under supervision ."

Another click. "Martin Samuels. 52 years old. No living relatives. Principle of light. Subject terminated."

They go on and on just like that. Names upon names of people with abilities. Hailee, Alexis, Brandon, Dawn, Ralph, Griffin, Priya, Myles. Names of people I don't know. Some of them are dead. Killed by him. Them. I can't help but listen. My fear spikes and I continue down the dark pungent tunnels, listening to the men.

Click. Swish. Heartbeat.

Click. Heartbeat.

They stopped. They stopped somewhere. Maybe it's safe to come up now. I have to sooner or later. I need something to drink. My head is starting to hurt really bad. I want my Papa. I start climbing the rails, pretending they are like the rungs of the monkey bars at the playground at my school. Pushing away the ceiling cap, I crawl out.

The first thing I see is blinding light. Quickly shutting my eyes, I want to go back under, but my body is screaming for food and water. I try opening my eyes again, slowly. I'm in the middle of the road. Cars all around me are honking. It's so loud and it hurts so much. I can't hear the heartbeat, or the clicks anymore. They've died out and have been replaced with an earsplitting, bellowing sound. I cover my ears in pain, crouching down on the ground in a fetal position.

And then I hear it.

Crunch. Swish.

Crunch. Swish.

But not Heartbeat. Where is Heartbeat?

Crunch. Stop.

They're right in front of me.

Click. I anticipate his voice, but it's not him. Scary voice isn't here. Someone new says "Subject to be termina-"

Before he can finish his sentence, I scream, like I've never screamed before. Everything else in the world lulls and for the first time I hear nothing. When I stop the only thing I can hear is a loud thud.

When I open my eyes, I see blood. Lots and lots of blood. I stare frozen. I didn't. I couldn't.

The insides of all the cars seem to be splattered in blood.

The lights and windows on all the cars are shattered.

The men that were above me are on the ground.

In pieces.

Covered in blood.

No.

I didn't. I couldn't.

Getting up on wobbly feet, I run. I run as far as I can. And then

I hear it. Heartbeat.

A few cars have been driving by, but one stops. The heartbeat is louder. I am frozen in place. I feel warm pressure on my shoulder and a chill runs down my spine.

"Hello Michelle." It's scary voice.

Before I can scream, I hear something moving quick through the air and -

...

Click. "Michelle Martinez. Ten years old. Orphan. Principle of sound. Subject Terminated.