(1.15)

A/N: You probably got this notification about this being updated and are currently thinking: "what is this? Who are you? I have no idea what this story is about"

As a recap: this is an AU where people are paired with their partners through a device that's planted in the back of their necks when they're born. Their DNA is taken and fitted with someone else's, and the pair start contact with each other through giving an item of clothing one month, the next is an item of their choosing (in Dan and Phil's case, Dan gave Phil some bracelets and Phil gave Dan a necklace with half a pendant) and the last thing they exchange before meeting is a letter

Dan and Phil meet in parts 1.4 and 1.5, Phil is a couple of years older, works full-time in a bookshop and lives alone while Dan has just finished school and is now working as a barista. They've been together for over a year, madly in love and recently moved in together

I think that's about it! Enjooooooy!

Reckless abandon.

That would be the only way I could describe our living room right now. Tinsel, baubles, fairy lights and decorations were chucked randomly across every inch of the floor which came a huge surprise to me as it made a difference to Phil's secret desire to always have the house clean.

It was December. A nice chill had settled across the city and the hopes of snow had picked up in the air again, so every morning I woke up to Phil tugging himself out of my embrace to run to the window and peel back the curtains, and all I would hear is a disappointed sigh and slow, thudding footsteps back to bed.

"No snow."

Phil mumbled the same thing at the back of my neck every morning. Weather forecasts had predicted nothing like snow, instead just rain and dreary cloudy skies so honestly, I'm not too sure why he still bothered but his dedication and hope still made me fall a little bit more in love with him every day.

Phil had the Christmas music playing like he seemed to do all day every day and would be until Christmas was over, but Christmas, as Phil said, was never truly over. Or at least, it wasn't in his heart and I couldn't help but struggle to understand his love and sentiment for this time of year. My family were the same as me, and so we never bothered to put a tree up in the lounge back at home because it got in the way of the TV and we stood on the thorns and I found it strange having a decaying tree in the house, so Phil's flat at Christmas utterly horrified me. I had helped him put together a white fake Christmas tree and he ran out the room and back in with Christmas gift bags and tipped them all over the floor at my feet. Penguins, paper snowflakes, ceiling decorations, Santas, reindeer, stars, crackers, candy canes... you name it, and it was lying on the living room floor somewhere.

"Help me!" Phil exclaimed, picking up a chain of tinsel, looking excited.

"Help you with what?"

"Decorate the tree!"

Phil went over to the tree that took us so long to put together and started to wrap the branches with the tinsel, his tongue sticking out at the side showed me this was far more serious than what I originally thought it was.

"Mmm," I picked up more tinsel and gave it to Phil, who stared at me expectantly. "Oh, you want me to put it on?"

"Yes."

"Right."

Truth be told, putting tinsel on a tree without having it scratch against your face was harder than it looked and I could begin to appreciate how much practice Phil had had over the years when to him, it was effortless.

"What about the fairy lights?" I asked.

"We put them on after the tinsel, it's the finishing touch."

"Hasn't it got enough tinsel on it now?"

Phil stopped in his tracks and looked me dead in the eye. "There is no such thing as too much tinsel."

"Oh." He squinted at me then suddenly burst into song along with Mariah Carey and it was both embarrassing and wonderful to be in love with someone who was as passionate about singing as he was with living in general. Phil loved being alive.

He loved seeing new things and exploring new car parks and trying new restaurants and buying the cheapest thing in a coffee shop just so he could sit in and watch people. He loved learning new techniques for his art work and painting in watercolours and trying to remember scenes in his head and trying to paint them at his desk. He loved watching people trip before going and asking if the person was okay and he loved being on public transport. He loved reading popular books before deciding it wasn't 'his cup of tea' and then making an actual cup of coffee with milk and no sugars and burning his tongue because he didn't stop to think of how hot it was.

Phil loved everything. But my favourite part of him was that he loved me and it was still something I couldn't get my head around. After all, we were both shockingly different and yet exactly the same, with haircuts that had fringes to cover the side of our faces and our daily wear were t-shirts and jeans and he loved lazing around so much it was nice to have someone who understood me. Before I met Phil, I didn't believe how a device in the back of my neck could find the love of my life. And now I can't believe I doubted such a creation. What did people do before this? Find love on their own? How terribly risky.

I think all of this as I help Phil decorate the tree and with time, putting baubles on branches is becoming fun and I'm happy to be here, so in love with someone that it hurts.

Phil taught me to see the bright side in every situation, so when I accidentally step on the plug for the fairy lights and curse so loud I expect a knock on our front door, I'm just glad that it makes Phil laugh.

A/N: I am so so so so sorry about not updating this in over a year. Time flew by, life turned itself upside down and I was sick for so long but I'm getting better now! I've had a really rough 12 months and couldn't bear to bring myself to write anything no matter how guilty I felt - but now that's all over

I've changed, my life has changed, but my love for writing hasn't. This chapter has been a gentle reintroduction to myself after being away for so long, but I've got big things in store. Hang tight!

also: I'm becoming a part of the Wattpad Futures program! I've explained it all on my last post in my profile, and if you have any questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask! Message me on here, twitter or send an email - I want to be as open about it as possible :)

UAA4GNANÕ-