Chapter 6

"Geez, I was scared outta my–" Grim glanced up at (Y/n) before making a cute attempt at backtracking–"I mean, they didn't faze me one bit!"

"I'm glad you didn't try to blast them. I can help you train your fire, if you want?" (Y/n) suggestion made Grim brighten up.

"You would really do that, human?"

"Sure, kit."

"Good evening. In another gesture of my immense kindness, I have brought you dinner," Crowley's voice came from behind them, it made them turn around. "Wait. That's the creature we ejected for causing trouble at orientation! What is it doing here?!"

"Takin' care of yer ghost problem, that's what," Grim boasted as he jumped out of (Y/n)'s arms. "You're welcome, by the way!"

"What is the meaning of this, (Y/n)?"

While (Y/n) tried to explain they were cut by Grim every time they tried to speak. The flaming monster went on about how he used his flames to scare the ghosts off, not letting the demon get a word of the truth in.

"But you know, on that topic, I do seem to recall that this dorm had a mischievous ghost problem," Crowley conveniently remembered too late. It made (Y/n) snarl at the bird man.

"A-ah, yes... That's why it was abandoned, in fact. The ghosts scared away all the students." The Headmage studied the two before him for a moment. " And you're saying you two joined forces to drive them away?"

"'Joined forces' ain't exactly how I'd describe it," Grim's voice sounded smug. "More like I drove 'em away, and the human watched."

Crowley rubbed his chin as he thought before he asked, "Would you two be so kind as to demonstrate your ghost-eradication methods for me?"

"What?! No wa—" Quickly (Y/n) coverd Grim's mouth, they gave Grim a disappointed glare that made his ears flatten against his head.

"Grim... Remember what I told you?" The kit hesitantly nodded. "This could be practice for you."

"Hrmph! Fine but I better get tuna for this!"

"Very well then. I will play the part of the ghosts," Crowley pulled a small vile from his pocket and uncorked it. (Y/n) scrunched up their nose as the smell, it smelled like Solomon's cooking so they doubted it tasted nice either.

"Now, to chug this transmutation potion!" Watching the bird man block his nose and drink the potion made (Y/n) feel a bit of respect for him. In a flash of light gone was the man and in his place was a ghost with a mask and a hat the same as the Headmage's.

~

"Grim, left!" Reacting quickly, Grim turned and unleashed a blast of fire.

"Behind you!"

"Left again!"

It was surprising how well the two worked together. (Y/n) would give commands and Grim would follow. It wasn't long until Crowley finally turned back.

~

"Haah... Haah... Well?" Grim was panting from exhaustion and (Y/n)'s stomach was growling louder than before.

"I'm hungry..." Crowley ignored them.

"Incredible... I've never seen anyone bend a monster to their will quite the way you have," Crowley complemented the demon. "I must confess, my educator's intuition did sense something about you after that brouhaha at orientation, (Y/n)."

"I could tell you had a certain animal trainer-y, beast master-ish quality to you. Oh yes. That said, I..." Crowley began mumbling but (Y/n) wasn't paying attention.

"Can Grim stay with me? Also when's dinner?" This seemed to stun the two in front of them, they had very different reactions.

"WHAT? A monster, stay HERE?"

"Whoa, did you just...?"

"Please...?" (Y/n) didn't notice but they were looking down at Crowley with an adorable pout that reminded him of a lonely puppy. He had to turn away to try and compose himself because of how cute they were.

"Hmmm... I suppose I cannot deny your plea."

"Myah?! Really?"

"Let me be clear! Under no circumstances would I admit anyone to Night Raven College who has not been selected by the Dark Mirror—especially not a monster!" Crowley's words made Grim deflate in annoyance but Crowley hadn't finished talking. "Nor do I intend to allow you, (Y/n), to freeload until you're able to return home."

Grim leaped up and climbed onto (Y/n)'s shoulder while grumbling, "Hrmph. Never shoulda got my hopes up..."

This action rewarded him with a light scratch between the ears from (Y/n). Pleased with the attention, Grim began to purr before batting away the demon's hand when he realised what he was doing.

"Now, allow me to explain. It was the Dark Mirror that transported you here. Therefore this school does bear some responsibility for your well being," Crowley stated clearly. "So I will allow you to remain in this dorm free of charge. However, you will need to pay for your own food, clothing and incidentals."

"But I'm broke.."

"As to how you will do so, penniless as you are... Ah. Ah ha. Yes, a fine plan." Crowley began to chuckle under his breath which mildly disturbed (Y/n). Grim leaned closer to (Y/n)'s head, his paws holding onto their hair.

"What are you planning to make me do?" (Y/n) glared at the humanoid crow with suspicion.

"You needn't be so alarmed. I'm simply going to ask you to do a few odd jobs around campus," (Y/n) gave a tired sigh as their stomach growled even louder than before.

"Come now, we can finish this conversation while you have dinner. That stomach of yours is growing increasingly irritating!" Crowley abruptly turned on his heel and walked off as (Y/n) followed, their head lowered in shame.