Chapter seventeen

Nathan and Tracy walked out of the hotel in their swimsuits, getting to the beach, a teenage girl smiled at them and offered them a flowery garland, “aloha to the beautiful couple.”
“No, we are not...” Tracy was saying, pointing from herself to Nathan and shaking her head when Nathan placed his arm on her shoulder and pulled her in.
“Thank you,” he said with a smile to the girl before leaning a little for her to put the garland on him, “what do you think babe?” he asked Tracy with a mischievous glint in his eyes and a sexy smirk.
Tracy opened her mouth to speak but no words came out and at the end, she just shook her head and walked away. Nathan smiled at the native girl that was now staring after her in surprise, “she loves being dramatic,” he grinned and ran after Tracy. “Hey, why are you angry?” he asked when he caught up.
“What was that about?” Tracy asked.
“What was what about?”
“Nathan, you just gave her wrong information about us.”
“And so?”
“What do you mean by and so? You are my younger brother.”
“Really, your younger brother?” he was shocked as he never expected to hear that. “The vibe you have been giving this past week doesn’t agree with that,” he said, serious now and slightly angry. He didn’t like how she suddenly mentioned the younger brother stuff when she had been the one seducing him all week long or whatever it was she has been doing and just when he was getting around the fact that maybe she wants him just as much as he wants her, she had to throw that younger brother stuff at his face.
Tracy’s heart missed a beat but yet she frowned and asked, “what vibe?”
“You don’t know, I should spell it out for you? Fine, asking me to put on a shirt every time.”
“That’s because I didn’t want you to catch a cold,” she defended.
“Oh really, so now I am going to catch a cold?” Nathan scoffed, running his fingers through his white hair angrily. “So what about returning and dressing in such a short dress? What about caressing my leg with yours under the table at dinner? What about rubbing your breast on my leg under the table? What about coming out of the bathroom with your towel so damn low from your breasts? What about pushing me against the wall in the plane today or smacking my ass? Huh, what about them all? How old do you think I am, twelve? that I wouldn’t know when a woman is flirting with me? And just when I wanted to flirt back, you threw that younger brother stuff to my face. Well news flash Trace, you are not my elder sister; we are not even blood related for crying out loud. And if you want to keep lying to yourself with the younger brother bullshit, then please, count me out.” He turned and stormed off.
He didn’t know what came over him, he had never wanted to speak to her like that but really it was getting to his nerves. He may have endured her calling him her younger brother before, but not anymore, not when she had acted the way she did these past few days and he had enjoyed it, not when he had thought that maybe things would finally work out between them only to be drawn back to square one.
Tracy was too stunned to say a word, she knew what she had been doing and she knew what she wants but accepting it was still a problem. She kept telling herself that it was just a temporal attraction but with each passing day, it just kept getting stronger that even being away from him for some days proved difficult and just now when he casually admitted to them dating, she felt ashamed of herself, especially remembering his age and what people would think when they see them together. Saying he was her younger brother wasn’t for him but for herself entirely, it was as if reminding herself what people thinks about them back home.
But he reacting like that was definitely unexpected; it almost sounded like he was even hurt, like he wanted them to be so much more, or was she mistaken? She found herself wishing Stella was around to hear him, she would have told her she was not mistaken in any bit. But rather than rejoice, she was solemn as she remembered James’ words, could it be he was under the illusion that they were together or was it a pure attraction from his side like it was from hers? She was confused and she knew she could not confront him in such a state; they both needed time to think things through and to know exactly what they want, especially her.
The only problem now was that she felt bad for ruining their trip on the first day even after promising that it would be fun. Staring at the direction he left, she sighed and walked in the opposite direction.
***
Nathan walked back to the hotel hours later ready to apologize for speaking so rudely to Tracy, even though he was hurt deep inside at the fact that he had been misreading everything that had been happening, he knew she deserves that apology from him. After all, it was not her fault if he had been seeing what wasn’t there. He was mostly angry at himself for being so loose, if he had listened to his brain and not to his heart, he wouldn’t have been in this situation, things would have still been the way they were. Now he doesn’t even know how to face her anymore, knowing he had indirectly let out his feelings to her and that she would understand.
But no matter what happened tonight or if she walks him out of her room, he would never blame her, the only painful fact was that he had thought this trip would be the best only to discover it was his worst.
He stared at the timer as the elevator went up and he knew within himself that she must have packed all her bags for them to go back tomorrow, he doesn’t blame her though, he knew if he was in her shoe and he discovered that the little girl he had been looking after since she was a baby was crushing on him, he would stay away from her, especially if he wasn’t feeling the same way.
He stepped out of the elevator and walked up to their door, he sighed and knocked, hoping she was inside. It took only a second and the door was opened. He kept his gaze at her feet, afraid to look her in the eyes least he sees the disgust in her beautiful hazel eyes. “May I come in?” he whispered. She didn’t say a word, but he saw her feet retreat into the room and he sighed before following her, shutting the door behind him.
“I got worried looking everywhere for you. Lucy called wanting to speak to you, saying she couldn’t get to you and then I discovered that your phone was here, where were you?” Tracy asked with a tinge of urgency in her voice.
“I was at the beach,” he replied.
“I searched there.”
“I…went a little far you wouldn’t have bothered to go,” he gulped, still not looking up at her, “I’m sorry.”
“What exactly are you apologizing for?”
“Everything, for getting you worried over me and for the way I spoke to you this afternoon. I’m sorry about everything and I want you to know that I understand whatever decision you make.”
Tracy sighed, “look at me Nathan.”
“Tracy I…”
“Look at me!” Her tone carried authority.
Nathan looked up at her reluctantly and was shocked when he didn’t see the disgust he was expecting rather her hazel eyes were clearly showing helplessness. “What is…” he was asking when she interrupted.
“What do you want Nathan?”
He furrowed his brows softly, “I don’t understand.”
Tracy heaved a deep breath, she could hear her heart beating loud in her chest, she couldn’t believe she had gotten to this decision and she couldn’t believe she was about to utter it out as well, “what do you want from…me…from…” she moved her fingers from herself to him, “us.”
Nathan couldn’t believe his ears, he took a step closer, expecting her to back away but she stood her ground, looking directly into his eyes. He took a few more steps till he has covered the distance between them. “What are you asking Trace, clarify me.” He was standing too close to her that he could feel her body warmth and her scent was attacking his nostrils, driving him crazy slowly.
Tracy licked her lips but she didn’t waver despite the fact that his closeness was affecting her so badly. She stood her ground, looking up at him into his ocean blue eyes, “what do you want?” she repeated.
“You,” Nathan answered, “I want you.”