Chapter 1: Katniss

"Have you seen Prim?" I ask Gale, my hunting partner. I have been going door to door all day, looking for my little sister. She went of riding on her horse, Lady, and hasn't returned.

"I'm sure she's fine," he says.

"She isn't like us," I remind him. "She doesn't know how to survive out here if she gets lost. I've taught her a few things, but not enough to help her for too terribly long."

"Have you thought about my proposal yet?" he asks. I turn to him and slap him across his face.

"My sister is missing!" I yell at him. "I have more to worry about than wether I'm marring you or not! And just for being an inconsiderate ass, I think I'm leaning toward no."

"You are nuts," he says. "You are gonna end up sad and alone because of your stubborn temper."

"I don't care Gale," I say. "I just don't care!" I stomp away and walk home, turning my back on my former friend. Lately he has been trying to get me to marry him. I don't see why, It's not like I ever gave him any hint that I liked him that way. But its become annoying none the less.

I return home to find that Prim still isn't home, which is really scaring me. Suddenly I hear a horse come running towards the stable. I look and my heart drops. Its Lady. I run to her and take her reins.

"Where's Prim?" I ask her. She whinnies in distress and I climb on her back. "You need to take me to her." Lady rears up and starts towards the dark forest that is far beyond my home.I hate it there. It's not like the one I often hunt in. This one is full of hidden monsters and women and children are forbidden to travel into it.

Fog starts to surround us and I hear the cry of a wolf. Lady shudders slightly and I pat her neck.

"Keep going," I say. "We'll be fine." she takes me to the gates of a gigantic castle that has gargoyles positioned on sharp ledges of the tall towers.

"So Prim's in an abandoned castle," I say. "Great." I walk through the iron gate and up the harsh marble steps. I hesitantly use the door knocker but the door swings open on its own. I walk in and look around the harsh, unforgiving walls.

"Hello," someone says. I look around for the voice and find nothing but a candelabra.

"Who's there?" I ask. The candelabra hops forward and I realize its alive. It has a face and everything.

"That would be me beautiful," it says. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Finnick."

"I'm going crazy," I say. "I'm talking to a candelabra."

"I assure you," he says. "I am not really a candelabra. I just happen to be assuming this form."

"Have you seen my sister?" I ask. "She's missing and her trail led here."

"A small girl, blonde hair, about twelve?" he asks.

"Yes that's her," I say.

"Then indeed I've seen her," he says. "Come I'll take you to her." He leaps into my hand and tells me directions as maneuver through the castle. I feel tears in my eyes as I realize we are heading to a dungeon. I gasp as I see my fragile sister staring at me from behind the bars of one of the cells.

"Prim," I cry and rush to her.

"Katniss," she says. "You need to leave. He can't know you are here. He'll take you too."

"Who will take me?" I ask her.

"The monster!" she says. "The beast that locked me in here." I start to look around for the keys to uncage my tiny sister. Suddenly Prim's eyes dilate in fear and I turn to see two stunning blue eyes.