Chapter 3: Katniss

I shot awake from my nightmare trembling. I look around the humongous bedroom to find it eerily quiet. I try to lay back down when I hear what sounds like a mix of a man screaming and a bear in distress. I get up and look outside my room. I hear the scream again and I realize its coming from the west wing.

The place Peeta forbid me to go. I start down the hall and take a deep breath before starting up the stairs. I come face to face with the master bedroom and I stand hesitantly. This is my last chance to back out of this. But as I hear him scream again, I put aside my fears and go inside.

The room is an absolute disaster. Peeta has obviously taken out his anger on the elegant furniture and once beautifully painted walls. I hear a moan and look over to the huge bed, which seems to be the only furniture that is virtually untouched.

Peeta thrashes around on the bed and I walk over to his bedside. I shake his shoulder and it has literally no affect on him. So I do the only thing I can think of. I climb on top of him and shake him again, this time yelling.

"Peeta!" I say. "Wake up!" he shoots up and I fall of of him and onto the floor. He stares at me with anger.

"I told you never to come here," he snarls.

"I'm sorry," I say. "You were screaming in your sleep. I thought you were having a nightmare. I never would have come here had I not been worried about you." I stumble to my feet and scramble to the door. Im about to run back to my room when Peeta stops me.

"Wait," he says. He grasps my arm in a warm, surprisingly gentle grip. "I'm sorry. I know you were just trying to help. I just didn't want you to see the monster I am."

"You aren't a monster," I say. "I don't see you that way."

"How could you not," he says throwing his hands to his sides. "Look at me."

"A monster would not show such kindness towards a complete stranger,"I say. "Even though I'm a prisoner here, you've shown itching but kindness towards me. Not once have you laid a hand on me and you've never really scared me before tonight. Although I know it was only because you were scared."

"But look at this," he says gesturing to the dismay in the room. "I destroy everything that angers me."

"Who doesn't throw and hits things when they're angry?" I say. "You just destroy them because you're so much stronger then most people."

"I'm not a person," he says. "I'm a beast, a hideous creature that does not deserve to live."

"Who told you that?" I ask him.

"No one, but its true," he says.

"You deserve to live," I say. "I know several people who are beautiful on the outside but rotten to the core. You are not a monster. You've shown me no real evidence to prove it."

"I'm still sorry for scaring you," he says.

"I know you are, and I forgive you," I say. "I know you were just scared.."

"I wasn't scared," he insists.

"Your voice says that," I say. "But your eyes say otherwise." I take his arm and pull him back to his disheveled bed. "Now lay down and try to go back to sleep."

"But-" he starts and I cut him off.

"Nightmares are normal Peeta," I say. "I get them too." He lays down and I pull the tattered bedspread over him. I try to leave but he grabs my hand.

"Can you stay here?" he asks.

"In your bed?" I ask him.

"Just for tonight," he says.

"Of course," I say. "You saved my life. It's the least I could do." I lay down next to him and almost chuckle at the fact that he keeps his distance.

"You can hold me if you want to." I say. "I don't mind." Hesitantly I feel his arms wrap around my small frame and pull me close to his warmth. I turn to face him and I lay my head on his arm. I place my hands on his chest and curl up next to him. He's warm and his arms hold me close.

"Katniss?" he asks.

"Yes?" I reply.

"Can you sing?" he asks.

"A little," I say. "Why?"

"Can you sing for me?" he asks.

"If you want me to," I say. "I guess I can. Is there anything you want me sing?"

"No," he says. "Just sing."

"Okay," I say and I think for a moment before a soft song comes to mind, something that might calm him down.

"It's amazing how you can speak right to my heart
Without saying a word you can light up the dark

Try as I may I could never explain
What I hear when you don't say a thing

The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall
You say it best when you say nothing at all

All day long I can hear people talking out loud
But when you hold me near you drown out the crowd

Old Mr. Webster could never define
What's being said between your heart and mine

The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall
You say it best when you say nothing at all

The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall
You say it best when you say nothing at all"

I look up to see that Peeta is sleeping peacefully with makes me smile. I don't think he deserves to think about himself the way he does. He's a very gentle person, not the monster he sees when he looks in the mirror. I lay my head on his chest and smile as I hear the steady beat of his heart. I fall into a deep sleep and can't help but think of how much more there is to my captor than a creature of children's nightmares.