The Loss

June 13, 1995

The Artist's P.O.V.

I listen to a finished track while tapping to the soundboard. "Emancipation" will be the title of my upcoming album, which should be out sometime in the coming year. I wanted Jalisa to hear a certain song in particular. Speaking of my pregnant girlfriend, I am planning to finally propose to her. The plan is still evolving, but it will be perfect. After a few more hours in the studio, I've decided to call it a day.

When I observed my girlfriend crying and being consoled by Tabitha as Wilt watched on sadly, I became worried as I entered the dining area.

"What happened?" I questioned Wilt.

"Jalisa's aunt called while we were out," he explained. "Joseph passed away last night."

My attention shifted to my girlfriend as Wilt spoke of how Jalisa's father had been ill for several months and didn't had much time. Walking over to her, I hugged and comforted her as she continued to grieve.

*********

I awoke from my sleep to the sound of the bath water running

I awoke from my sleep to the sound of the bath water running. Jalisa wasn't in bed, so I figured she was in the bathroom. I got out of bed and walked in to see her perched on the side of the tub.I grab a bottle of body wash gel and pour it into the tub. She undressed with my help before stepping into the tub, and I followed behind her after removing my clothes.

We sat in silence, perception her father's unexpected death. Even when he and Jalisa made up, I was still in disbelief that he was gone. When I first met him, he didn't seem unwell. It must have been something he was struggling with, and he didn't want her to be worried because of her pregnancy.

"What didn't he tell me?" Jalisa asked.

"He probably didn't want you to worry."

"But he still could've told me. I shouldn't have left."

"Jay, don't blame yourself for what has happened in the past. Be grateful that you and he ultimately reunited and were able to spend as much time together."

"I wish I had more time with him than I already had." She spoke sadly.

We sat in silence as I put my arms around her and gave her a reassuring kiss on the cheek.

June 16, 1995

Jalisa's P.O.V.

I informed my aunt yesterday that I would be flying to Indianapolis later this evening. Rather than booking a flight, the artist suggested that I take his private plane, and I accepted the suggestion. T and I are now in St. Paul, getting ready to take off. As Wilt carried in the rest of the luggage, The Artist walked in behind him and sat next to me.

"What are you doing?" I questioned him.

"Coming with you." He replied.

I look over at Tabitha and she just shrugged her shoulders while grinning at me. I muttered nothing and relaxed in my seat as the jet took flight. The knowledge that my family is unaware of my relationship with The Artist caused me feel somewhat anxious. Speaking of my ex-boyfriend, I doubt he'll attend the funeral.

"Penny for your thoughts?" The Artist inquired about my mood.

"I'm just a little anxious because my family doesn't know about Kelvin and I not being together, about your relationship with me and our baby."

"If it's alright with you, they don't need to know about us at this point. I just hope that chump keeps his distance from you and what's her face doesn't start any drama with you."

"I know that's right." T agreed.

"Oh, believe me, Vanessa's gonna start something."

"And if she does, her dirty laundry gonna be exposed the moment she starts." He declared.