Chapter 13

Today, I will mix the Povs up a bit. Please tell me if you like it or if you prefer it with only the 3rd person Pov!

Mei took a deep breath, gathering her courage."Yuzu, I..."

Her emerald eyes met Yuzu's violet ones, and then Mei shook her head. "Nothing, forget it."

Yuzu was confused but chose not to question it. After that, Mei became more distant than usual.

~Mei’s POV~

I couldn’t tell her. How cowardly of me. But what if my feelings aren’t even real? The more I think about Yuzu, the more I want her in my life. But there’s the arranged marriage. I can’t do this to her. I have to protect her, even if it means stepping out of her life.

Yuzu kept looking at me, and I felt my cheeks warm—blushing. She probably noticed but didn’t say anything. For the rest of the day, even though she was at my house, which made me anxious, I ignored her as best I could. I have to be the cold and emotionless girl again.

~Yuzu’s POV~

Is everything okay with Mei? She’s always cold, but this is different. I can’t shake the feeling that something is seriously wrong. She knows almost everything about me, except that I was bullied in middle school for being attracted to girls. I didn’t want her to know that. An hour later, I gave up trying and sat on the couch to watch some anime.

~3rd Person POV~

Mei successfully avoided Yuzu, who sat on the couch watching Yuri anime while Mei stayed in her room. An hour passed, and Yuzu got hungry. She decided to cook but didn’t want to disturb Mei. The delicious smell woke Mei, who went downstairs to see Yuzu cooking.

Mei, feeling bold, came up behind Yuzu and hugged her.

“I’m sorry, I’m an asshole.”

Yuzu froze, hoping this wasn’t a dream. It wasn’t. She wanted to turn around, but Mei held her in place.

“Can we just... stay like this for a while?” Mei asked, blushing. Yuzu nodded and continued cooking while Mei clung to her like a lost puppy.

~Mei’s POV~

Why did I do that? Why did I hug her? But it felt so right, and she’s so warm. Her scent, her presence—it’s all so comforting. But I can’t let myself get too close. I have to stay strong, for her sake.

~Yuzu’s POV~

Mei’s hug caught me off guard, but I didn’t mind. In fact, I wanted more. Her touch was gentle, yet desperate, as if she was holding on for dear life. What is she hiding? Why is she so afraid? I wish she would tell me. I’d do anything to help her.

~3rd Person POV~

Ten minutes later, the food was ready. Yuzu had made enough for both of them. They sat down in front of each other and began to eat in silence.

“You know... I’m really happy you’re here with me,” Mei started. “And if I’m being honest, I don’t think I’ve ever been happier.” She paused. “But this won’t last forever.”

Yuzu’s joy turned to worry. “What do you mean, Mei?”

Mei looked down, her voice trembling. “I have an arranged marriage. My grandfather set it up. I don’t have a choice.”

Yuzu felt her heart break. She didn’t understand why, but she felt incredibly sorry for Mei, who had to marry a creep for money. “That son of a bitch,” Yuzu said, her voice full of anger. “I won’t let you marry a creep, Mei. I never will. If we have to run away, we will. You deserve all the happiness in the world, and I will give you that. I’m going to stay with you until death separates us.” Yuzu’s voice was serious and determined.