Chapter 33

Thank you so much for your support and love, we gained 100k reads. 

Please vote and comment.

"When are you guys planning to go on a honeymoon?"

The question hung in the air, punctuated by the sudden silence that fell over the room. I glanced at Mr Mehra after his question. He smiled, oblivious to the tension their innocent query had ignited.

I turned my head towards Shanaya, a woman living with me for 2 months, under the same roof, on the same bed and with the title of Rayan Mehra's wife. I saw a flicker of something in her eyes. Hope? Expectation? I couldn't tell. She quickly masked it with a polite smile, the same one she had been wearing since the wedding.

 "What? Why blank faces? You guys haven't got any plan yet?" He questioned again. 

Can this man stop with his unsophisticated questions?

Before I could generate any response to this answer, Shanaya spoke, "Oh, we really haven't decided yet." Her voice was steady, betraying none of the awkwardness I felt. 

"Yeah," I chimed, in a forcing grin. "Work has been pretty crazy lately."

"The company's progress won't fail if you go on honeymoon for some days."

"I am the CEO, things need to be looked after."

"As the founder, I know how to run it effectively." He argued. 

I hummed and continued chewing my food. 

"Well, I guess you both should think about it and go." After saying this, he wiped off his hands and left the dining room."

I rolled my eyes and whispered to Mom, "How come this man is always this grumpy?"

She darted her eyes at me and said, "Shut up, don't say these things in front of her at least."

I glanced at Shanaya and then again towards Mom, "She knows."

Mom pushed herself back to the chair and sighed. She nodded and stood while saying, "I'll check on your dad." 

"He's not my dad." I simply whispered.

Mom turned her head and pique was displayed on her face. 

"Mom, are you done eating?" Shanaya asked out of the blue.

"Yes." She sternly replied and left with heavy footsteps. 

"You shouldn't have said that." She said softly. 

"Hmm. I am sorry I don't want to eat anymore." Saying this I also left the room leaving her alone there. 

I went out to the balcony of our room and sat on the swing chair. As I reached into my pocket, my fingers closed around a cigarette. I brought it to my lips and flicked the lighter, watching the flame dance as it touched the tip of the cigarette. As I inhaled the smoke filled my lungs, bringing relief and calm.