Chapter 3: Midnight ICEE

I leaned back on the uncomfortable gray and stiff couch in boredom. It appeared as if we were sitting in a therapist office. But instead, we were sitting in an office building where Vanessa and my mom were being interviewed. I found it unfair that Brooke and I had to be dragged out of the house for this. Vanessa and mom have had many interviews before, but it was never mandatory to attend all of them.

Apparently, my dad wanted us to act like a family; sitting through interviews must've been a part of that plan. A plan which I did not like at all.

"Alright, last question for Lily," the interviewer said. "Then we can get down to you, Vanessa."

Vanessa nodded politely and crossed her legs. Sometimes I just stared at my sister and wondered if it was all an act. Her personality was strangely and constantly changing. So which one was the real Vanessa? How was I supposed to know?

Vanessa could be a bitch. She could be rude and strict and just overall mean. Yet, she never dared to show that to the public. But to be fair, I probably wouldn't have either. 

"How has your family supported your work as a surgeon?"

I was waiting for that question for the entire length of the interview. That family question. It always popped up, assuming that it was because of each other, that we were so great. They couldn't know for sure if that was true, yet it was always an assumption because, well, we were the Honeycut family, right?

"Well," my mother began, switching on her automatic response. "My family has done a wonderful job supporting me and my work. They always take care of the responsibilities I'm simply too busy to handle, and I think it is astonishing that they do so without complaint."

It wasn't a bad answer, and it was half true. Although, I'm surprised the people of this town hadn't noticed it was the exact same answer given previously. As Vanessa quickly replaced mom in the interviewing chair, a familiar moving figure caught the corner of my eye.

I turned my head to unexpectedly see the same brown mop of hair that was being somewhat irritating the other day in the gym. Astonished, I narrowed my eyes at Seth to make sure I was seeing the same guy. I wasn't delusional, I figured out.

I got up from my spot on the couch, dad looked at me questioningly. I didn't bother saying anything and just walked over to Seth who was crouched over a desk, looking over some papers.

"Wow," I said. Startled, he whipped around. "Who knew the big oaf I met at the gym actually has a job at a place so....white-collared."

"I don't work here," Seth said in a low voice. He started walking to the hall and I followed him. Once we were out of the room and the door was closed, he stopped and turned around.

"I'm surprised you haven't hit on me yet. It's like you've got two personalities."

"Would've been awkward with my mother sitting right there."

"Wait, so your mother is..."

"The interviewer," he finished for me. "That's right."

"Gotcha. So what are you doing here then?"

"Running some errands for her. She's been on my ass about it for too long."

"Aw, well isn't that sweet. You're helping out your mother," I cooed. 

"More like forced," he mumbled. "What about you?"

I looked at Seth with eyebrows raised. He really didn't have to ask that, did he? He seemed to catch my drift and his mouth formed into an "o".