XXIII

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Cielo's POV

"Villegaz, are you sure we should be doing this?"

I heard her, but I didn't look at her and just continued what I was doing. "Bakit mo naman naitanong?"

"Isn't it like thievery? And will you please come down already? It's dangerous," she reminded me, sounding a bit worried.

I laughed as I looked at her and saw her looking up at me, slightly squinting her eyes. "Hindi ah. At kung mahuli man tayo, you'll be the one going to jail," I teased, and I saw her frown as I looked away and continued what I was doing.

"And why is that?"

"Ikaw na kasi ang guardian ko sa lahat ng documents ko," I joked, shaking my head at my foolishness as I glanced at her again.

I noticed her sigh. "That's only applicable if you're still a minor, Villegaz," she informed, rolling her eyes at me while still looking up.

I snorted. "Oo nga pala. Then we'll both end up in jail. Besides, gusto mo rin lang na laging kasama ko kung saan man ako pumunta e," I murmured the last part, making sure she wouldn't hear it because she would definitely get mad.

"What?" she inquired, a bit snappy.

I shook my head. "Wala po, Ma'am. Sabi ko ang ganda mo diyan," I lied, although the part about her being beautiful was always true.

She rolled her eyes again. "Whatever. Just hurry up, I think someone's coming," she warned as she glanced to her side.

I did notice someone, but I pretended not to hear her. Tinuloy ko lang ang pamimitas ng mangga habang nakaakyat dito sa puno. Nadaanan namin ito papunta sa sinabi kong pupuntahan namin ngayon at naisipan kong manguha para dalhin doon.

Pagkauwi kasi namin kahapon galing palengke ay sinabihan ko siya na may pupuntahan kami ngayon. Nagusot pa nga ang mukha niya kasi akala niya ay sa palengke ulit kami pupunta, mukhang nadala na. But when I told her that she would be able to relax where we were going, her face lit up, and she even asked if it was a date since it was just the two of us. Not wanting to spoil her happy mood, I simply said yes.

She must have been looking forward to it because she woke up early today, clearly excited. She even woke me up and told me to start getting ready and to cook what we would bring. Hindi nga manlang tumulong at pinanuod lang ako, but it was fine dahil hindi ko rin naman siya hinahayaang kumilos masyado dahil baka lalo lang kaming matagalan at baka magkadelibyo pa.

Pambihira.

I got back to my senses from remembering what happened when I heard a dog's bark, immediately glancing back at Yvy. She paused, stepped back, and gradually looked up at me.

"Villegaz," she called, her voice laced with worry.

But before I could respond, we heard someone shout, "Sino 'yan?!" Along with more barking.

"I told you, Villegaz, this is wrong. Come down here already," she scolded, her voice trembling slightly, somewhat a bit scared.

I didn't respond and, before the person with the dog could get any closer, I jumped down beside Yvy. Hindi naman masyadong kataasan ang puno ng mangga kaya keri lang. Pareho silang nagulat pati iyong aso na tumahol lalo nang tumahol but I didn't mind it. I straightened out and quickly grabbed Yvy's arm, gently pulling her behind me. She immediately clung to my arm and the back of my shirt.

"Lolo Ino," I greeted the man who had just arrived, who immediately scrutinized me.

"Cielo, ikaw pala. Akala ko kung sino," he returned with a smile when he seemed to recognize me, pulling the dog on its leash to calm it down.