Chapter 22 - Finally; You're here

Niall's POV

"Niall?" I froze. I felt a light squeeze from my hand and my eyes widened. "Niall?" I slowly lifted my head up and met dark emerald eyes.

"H-Harry?" A weak smile spread across his face. I frowned and pinched my arm with my free hand. Harry's small, weak laugh rang through the room and I frowned at him.

"What are you doing babe?"

"Just making sure I wasn't dreaming". Harry smiled weakly then frowned.

"What happened? Last I remember, I was telling you I would never leave you then everything is just, black". We were silent for a moment. "Niall, have you been crying? Have you slept? Have you even eaten? You look terrible". I awkwardly scratched the back of my neck.

"You went into cardiac arrest". I sighed. "Your heart failed for some unknown reason, and that stopped the blood flow, so you know...when your heart stops you..." I felt a tear drop down my cheek and Harry's thumb was there, wiping it away.

"I'm here now baby, I'm here". I nodded and took a deep breath.

"It took a while for the doctors to come out. And they said they didn't know when you would wake up, I couldn't eat Harry. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't leave you".

"Niall.."

"I know. You're disappointed in me because I didn't do exactly what you would want me to do. I'm sorry Harry. I couldn't".

"How long was I unconscious?"

"About a week".

"What's the date?"

"Fourteenth". Harry's face completely dropped.

"I....I missed..."

"Harry, it doesn't matt-"

"Yes it does Niall. I missed your birthday. I wasn't awake. You sat there crying about me on your birthday..."

"Harry, calm down. My birthday isn't important".

"Please promise me you will eat something?" I nodded. "What time is it anyway?"

"I think it's like 1am". Harry nodded. "How do you feel?"

"Okay. I think. Maybe a bit tired, and weak, but I'm okay".

"I'll go get the nurse". Harry nodded and I walked out of the room.

"Can I help you sir?" I jumped slightly from the unexpected voice and turned around to see a middle aged nurse.

"Ah, yes. Harry Styles just woke up and.."

"Ah yes, I'm very familiar with Mr. Styles". I followed her into the room and took my usual seat in the chair, holding Harry's hand. The nurse gave a disgusted look at our hands but I ignored it.

"Hello Harry, how are you feeling?" Harry frowned at me and I knew exactly what he was thinking. I just shrugged and he turned back to her. I saw a cheeky smile cross his lips. Here we go again.

"I'm great, given my boyfriend is here, holding my hand". She frowned at him, the disgusted look still stuck on her face. "Although I'd love to be doing so much more than holding his hand". She gave us an even more disgusted look. I chuckled. "I'd love for his hand to be in other places right now.." I cracked. I was laughing so hard that my stomach was tightening and I was gasping for air, a small tear escaping the corner of my eye. The look on her face showed pure horror from what Harry's last words were. "You alright there nurse?" I half calmed down and smiled at Harry's cheeky face.

"Um, yes, let's see...I need to check your blood pressure and your heart.."

"Well, hurry up". She rolled her eyes and checked his blood pressure first.