Horror whispers

(David's POV)

But what I saw next made my eyes to jump with fear and knees to buckle. I couldn't believe what I was looking at! I even felt like throwing up as my insides twisted with dread.

I flipped my eyes shut again, for a brief moment. Ruthless terror shrapnel stabbing angrily at my heart.

I opened my eyes again from the brief respite of darkness, and blood froze in my veins. I fought had to contain my breathing.

Flooding the minivan's floor was a chilling ocean of thick dark-red fluid, coupled with a very nasty odor. The horrific scene before me was so chilling to the extent of even felt like throwing up. I couldn't fathom both the sight and odor any further. I resolved to slide the door shut at once.

But then, I paused, abruptly. My eyes having caught something. Resting on the minivan's floor, under the central seat and surrounded by a miniature lakes of creamy stinking fluid. It was somewhat so small that it could perfectly fit inside my palm. Its plain, brown skin looked a bit hard and very smooth. I even admired its beautiful skin tone.

I was not sure if it was my exhausted brain's creation, but I could feel the like the little thing was calling out to me as my curiosity tripled. Weird!

I frowned with worry. Tingling dread creeping through my body, as I observed the little thing.

But there was something I couldn't really understand.

How comes it looked so clean of even a tiny drop of the blood? How did that even happen?

I narrowed my sight at it. Fear crawling over my body, pricking my skin.

Staring at me innocently was a small peculiar book. Some kind of a tiny note-book or a diary. Both my brain and muscles in unison were screaming for me to scatter away from the scene, while my guts pleaded that I grab it. I was in a huge dilemma on which one to trust, though my guts were more insistent. And since I still doubted my brain's sanity, I resolved to heed to my guts.

Compliant to the insistent guts, I slithered my shaky hand slowly under the seat, fingers at ready like pincers. The stench lingering inside the minivan was so horrible and disgusting and I had to fight harder to hold my breath.

But just then, when I was about to wrap my pincer-like fingers around the tiny book, an instant overwhelming feeling of being watched suddenly struck me!

A crooked pang of fear caused my heart to flutter.

At once and engulfed by a scary feeling, I retracted my hand fast, drifted my head away from the minivan, and started looking around in all directions, shivering and heart racing even faster.

Weirdly, there was nothing or anybody I could see! Apart from Liz, who was midway heading back to our car. Completely unaware of my bizarre behavior and I counted my luck that she hadn't noticed how freaked and petrified I was.

Then suddenly, I remembered the half open window I had noticed earlier, and my heart stuttered again. I darted my eyes there quickly, focusing on it and its surroundings.

Again to my surprise or solace, I saw nothing unusual.

Am I imagining things? Is my mind playing games with me or am I going insane?

GET OUT OF HERE NOW! IT IS NOT SAFE! My instincts barked at me abruptly, shrieking me with more fear.

A nameless dread engulfed me and I got more confused, thinking and unthinking.

What the heck is not going on here?

I hunched my shoulders in resignation and stared up on the sky, wishing it would smuggle even a little sign to me. The shiny ice castles had started to converge here and there, crafting some kind of super wide darkish islands. A clear sign that storm was underway.