11. Beautiful

~~~~

"Smile."

With a possessive arm around around Persephone's thin waist, Alistair had forcefully pulled her through the palace towards the buzzing ballroom.

His fingers dug into her side when she didn't respond. His sharp gaze came down upon her, sending fear to her core.

"I told you to smile."

By now she was trembling, dominance and power coming off of him in waves. Shakily, she stretched her lips into a weak smile.

Alistair pressed his lips together, "That will have to"

As they approached a large set of double doors, wooden and elaborately carved, a collective rumble traveled through towards the pair. Alistair removed his arm from around Persephone's waist, only to take her hand and tuck it into the crook of his elbow.

"You will smile the entire time. You will not leave my side. And you certainly will not speak, not unless you are spoken to," he turned his head, looking for confirmation from her. She looked so beautiful, stunning, really. Martha had done a good job and he was impressed. He didn't know it was possible to make the lovely thing before him even more lovely, but it had happened. Her chocolate brown hair had been twisted around her head, elegantly tucked Away from her face. The brilliant blue dress fit her perfectly, accentuating her slim figure. And, although Alistair knew she did not need it, Martha's work with makeup had rendered Persephone's fair skin flawless and seemed to have widened her big, doe eyes.

He had be in her presence for not ten minutes and he was barely controlling himself. He was not sure how he was supposed to keep himself from tasting her throughout the event, and then the night.

Oh, but she smelled so delicious, her fear enhancing the smell. He did not mean to scare her, and he knew it was probably not the best thing to come out of their first meeting. but, Alistair had to admit, there was always a certain pleasure to be obtained from the trembling of others. Even his own girl. Besides, she must learn sooner or later who was in charge here. Her fear would solidify that.

"I am I making myself clear, Persephone?"

It was the first time he had said called her b y her name and she visibly shivered, nodding a timid yes.

He smirked, he knew he was undeniably attractive and she found him that way. He knew that, by saying her name and touching her in this simplistic way, he was sending waves of arousal down her spine. He could smell it.

"Good, now smile, doll."

As if on cue, the large ornate doors swung smoothly open on their iron hinges, announcing the pair's arrival to the crowd within.

Alistair's smirk remained as Persephone's gasp was heard. Not only was it the sheer amount of people that surprised Persephone but the beauty of them.

Alistair's race was known for their beauty, to attract their prey of course. Smooth skin, perfectly structured features and grace were their gifts. Yet, in her ignorance, Persephone knew none of this. All the naive, young girl knew was that she did not belong. If not comparing in looks but in some way she just could not figure out.

"Greetings," Alistair's voice rang out from beside her, causing her to snap her head up towards him. The crowd silenced at the sound of his voice and Persephone could now feel every eye in the room on her. She felt trapped beneath their unwavering, and unabashed stares, "and welcome tonight to our ball in celebration for the arrival of my lovely Persephone. I implore you all to enjoy the festivities and food. And I thank each of you for appearing tonight."

Applause filled the room, rising up from crowd of people, each elaborately dressed. A sharp glance from Alistair reminded Persephone to smile. In the shock entering the ballroom she had forgotten his words, to smile and to "not speak unless spoken to."

She felt like a child, like she was playing as a doll, but her fear for this intense man was too great to fight back. If he had in fact been the one who had kidnapped her, she was not quite sure what else his twisted mind could think of doing. Especially in punishment.

A tight lipped smile found its way onto Persephone's face as Alistair led her down from the landing they had been on upon entering the room, down a marble staircase, and into the greater part of the room.

Immediately a couple was upon them, the man tall and thin, his features pointed, his woman just the same. Each were beautiful, seeming to be in their thirties.

"So lovely to meet you, my dear," the wins drawled out, an English accent present in her voice, "You are as beautiful as Alistair spoke."

Persephone blushed at the woman's words, but in confusion, how long had Alistair planned her taking?

The man, however, showed no interest in her, turning to Alistair, "I expect we shall work out the papers of the..." He glanced at Persephone, "situation."

Alistair nodded, his sly smile revealing his perfectly white and pointed teeth, "Yes, of course, Rodrick. But tomorrow, take tonight to enjoy the celebration."

The evening went on like this, people Persephone did not know coming up to greet them. Each commented on her, but spoke to Alistair on subjects that Persephone gathered to be part of what seemed to be Alistair's position in something. Perhaps he was a businessman?

Finally, the pair had made it to a table, sitting with a group of elegant people that made the small girl feel inferior, each business like and beautiful in their own right. Never once in the night had Alistair's grip on her fade or been withdrawn.

She had been doing good to follow Alistair's orders not to speak one particular lady spoke out.

"Oh, Alistair, I really do think she will make a lovely queen."

Next to her, Alistair tensed.

"Excuse me?" Persephone blurted out, by now all eyes at the table were on her, "Queen? Queen of what?"

Alistair's grip around her waist grew tight, "That is enough," his words were spoken beneath his breath but loud enough for her to hear.

"No," she turned to him, done with not knowing what was going on, "I'm not going to just sit here and act like this is okay. I don't even know why I'm here. I just woke up in this strange place this morning. What even is this place? And who even are you? To take me away from my home? I'm sick of being looked at like a piece of meat! Who even are you people to-"

"THAT IS ENOUGH." Persephone froze.

Throughout her rant his grip on her side had tightened to be almost painful. Now his nails very piercing her side.

Tears filled her eyes as the fear returned, leaving her ridged. Alistair's gaze came down upon her, the red in his eyes fleeing, leaving them black and rage filled. The entire table went silent.

"You will not speak to me that way," his voice was low and dangerous, Persephone began to tremble. Turning towards the others at the table, he spoke slowly, as if he was trying to control himself, "I believe it is time for us to go. Please. Enjoy the night." Each syllable was articulate, ringing through the air as he rose, bringing Persephone with him, clutching her arm in his fist, pulling her from the table and out the door.

A/n: WOOO almost 1300 words who's proud of me? I am! Fourth update this week!