The Past Follows

I take the subway myself to school today. My parents now decide I should become independent not just on the way home, but now on the way to school. Great, more time for me to become paranoid of everyone around me.

I reach my school and quickly walk in, hoping no one notices that it's the "foreign Korean" walking in. I go straight to my class and sit down at my seat. Hardly anyone was in class, just two other students. But, they seem like the quiet ones so I don't think they'd bother me.

I check the time and see that class doesn't start until 10 more minutes. I rest my head on my desk and wait for it to start.

5 minutes later, I hear the door open. I look up to see who it was and it's the guy from yesterday. The guy who tapped my shoulder when I exited the subway. He looks at me and flashes a smile, then he sits down in the seat near the front. My eyes widen. He's the smart mouth from yesterday. I roll my eyes. I already forgot what his name was.

Minutes later, more students started to walk in. I look at all of them as they go to their seats. Someone slides their arm across my shoulders and I jump up. My breathing became very heavy.

"Hey, Kimberly." a guy says. I shrug his arm off, still breathing heavy from the shock he gave me. I look at him and his eyebrows are raised.

"Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you." he says, adding a chuckle to the end. "I just wanted to know if you wanted to eat lunch with me today."

I shake my head and squint my eyes shut.

Please, just leave me alone.

I think to myself. I open them a little and look at him. His face is holding an expression that shows, this girl is crazy. I look away from him and stare back forward.

"What? You don't want to eat with me today?" he says. I shake my head again, and stay looking away. I hear him scoff and feel him go away from me. I sigh in relief. I didn't think people here would act this way. It's almost like back in America, but it's more worse over there. At least here they leave you alone when you say no...not like back home.

The class starts and Mrs. Jo comes in. She tells us to just sit back and do homework if we have any, or to read and study if we want to catch ahead.

"What if we don't have homework, and we don't want to catch ahead?" I hear the guy from the subway say. I roll my eyes as everyone chuckles.

"Then just sit there quietly, Mr..."

"Jung. Jung HoSeok." HoSeok says, finishing Mrs. Jo's sentence. I look at her and she nods her head at him.

"Right. Mr. Jung. Just sit quietly." she tells him again. HoSeok chuckles a little and stays in his seat quiet. At least he's not causing a ruckus in the class, trying to be the class clown.

***

When it became lunch time, I rushed to the lunch room to get food first before anyone sees. I'm probably just a bit too paranoid of everyone now. I know it might sound a bit cocky, or I have too much of an ego, that's probably the same thing but none of this happened to me at home. The constant teasing and being treated like you're vulnerable. I mean, I got some hate comments back home, but it's normal when you have friends, a lot of them too.

I just feel like everyone's looking at me, and somehow they know about the rape. They know about it and are calling me a slut or maybe something worse. Maybe some know and feel bad, but won't say anything. Kimberly, how would they even know about this? It happened a week ago back in California.

As I'm in line, getting my food, I feel hands touch my waist. I drop my tray and squeal silently to myself. The hands quickly pulled away and I felt like breaking down and crying right there. But, I held it in.