Long Nights Always Lead to the Worst Arguments

Best Friends with Benefits

Chapter 6 Ending: I let my eyes blink a few times, my mind half processing Connor's screams, but mostly focusing on deciphering between the stars in the sky and the ones forming in my line of sight from my head hitting the pavement. But even that faded away, the world swirling into darkness until it seemed that only light was left.

Chapter 7: Long Nights Always Lead to the Worst Arguments

Katie's POV

"All vital signs look good, Ma'am." A male voice said, deep and authoritative.

"But she's not awake," my mind processed the urgent tone in my mother's voice.

"Ma'am, she'll wake up when she's ready. A lot of dramatic trauma happened to your daughter. She's been through a lot."

"But, -"

"Mom?" I croaked out, forcing my eyes open before blinking them away from the white lights.

"Katie," she cried wrapping her arms around me in a tight embrace. "Are you alright? Do you need anything? Can I get you something? Water? Food? Clothes? What about your hair? Do you want it up? Or -"

"Mom," I interrupted, yet again, "I'm fine."

"I'm glad you're up, Katelyn, but, Mrs. Summers, I'm afraid visiting hours are almost up."

"But, -"

"Mom," I stopped her, "just go home, take a shower, eat, sleep. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Alright, Baby, I'll see you first thing in the morning."

I smiled as she kissed my forehead, the doctor following her out.

I sat for a minute, wondering what I was supposed to do now, but the sound of the door opening and closing shook me from my thoughts.

Connor stood by the door, his face covered in the shadows.

"Hey," I said, my voice cracking lightly, but the smile breaking out across my face covered me from really caring about it, "I thought visiting hours are over?" I asked jokingly.

"Connor?" I asked when he didn't answer, my eyes wondering over and finally meeting his stormy green orbs.

"What the actual fuck, Katie?" he screamed, his eyes alight as he started pacing by the door.

"What?"

"You fucking slept with Ash?"

"What? I did not sleep with Ash. What the hell are you saying?" I yelled back, standing up from my bed and ignoring the dizziness in my head.

Connor sighed, stopping his pacing and running a hand through his hair, his eyes not meeting mine. "Why didn't you just tell me, Kate? We tell each other everything."

He sounded broken, like I couldn't have betrayed him any worse.

"I didn't do anything, Connor. I didn't sleep with Ash and I sure as hell didn't keep something from you."

"I know," he yelled, his furious eyes finally meeting mine as he turned on his heel, his hands coming down to rest on the end of my bed, "I fucking know."

This time his voice went back to being broken, the words only leaving his mouth in a broken whisper, his eyes lowering to look at the blanket folded up bellow his hands.

"What Connor?" I asked incredulously, my head spinning as I yelled, forcing me to lean over onto the bed for support, "What do you fucking know? That I slept with Ash? Because I didn't! I fucking didn't." I said, the last sentence fading out into a whisper as my head spun, the room spinning and blurring together.