Chapter 18 "He is my husband"

Author's note 

Hello, my lovely readers! I hope you're enjoying "My Captured Bride." I apologize for being late on updates lately. I will try to upload more frequently going forward. I know this is my first story, and there are many issues with grammar and writing. I hope I can improve my writing skills and depict the emotions of the main characters better in the future. I hope you'll vote and comment on the story, and have a good day or night! (Target; 60 votes)

***********

Laura cleared her throat, breaking the awkward silence between them. "Why are you suddenly letting me go back to the hospital?" she asked. "I thought you didn't want me to go back." 

Ace exhaled, leaving her sandals under the bed, holding her hands, glaring right into her eyes, "When we married. I genuinely thought of letting you go back to the hospital to work but on our wedding night, you stabbed me with a knife." Ace exhaled sharply in disappointment. 

"I was so angry at you that I blurted out that night that I will never allow you to go back to the hospital but after that when I heard your conversation with your father I saw your passion regarding saving people as you have already saved someone for me so I thought." Ace gave a comfortable squeeze on her hand. 

"To give you something that you like to do. And, that is to save people." Ace gulped the lump of thick saliva down his throat which was stuck as he was speaking.   

Laura is starting to trust Ace, and it's all because of how he's been fulfilling his promise to give their marriage a chance. He's been much kinder to her recently, and she's feeling good, happy, and excited about her future. Laura is even thinking about giving their marriage a chance, too.

Ace is a different person when he wants to be. He's always been rude and condescending, but there was a change in him as he stood before her. It seemed as if an entirely new Ace was in front of her. His words stirred a mix of emotions within her, giving her a cold shiver and sparking a flame in her heart. 

************

Laura's Pov 

My heart was racing with mixed emotions. There was a new feeling in my stomach, like a knot. Ace and I sat in complete silence. He was driving, and I was resting my head on my elbow and staring out the window at the city. The shops, malls, and showrooms gave way to the highway. The silence was deafening, and I was trying to process everything that was happening.

I couldn't believe that he was being so kind. A wave of emotions swept over me. I was nervous, happy, and excited about the things happening between us. I never thought he would let me go back to my work. I never even tried to convince him because I never would have imagined he would agree. I closed my eyes. Am I dreaming? The word circled my mind. I was afraid to open my eyes and find that it was a dream. I don't want this to be a dream. So, I did something that I never thought of doing. 

I opened my eyes, and exhaled sharply, giving my mind a wave of oxygen to calm my nerves from the emotions. "I am ready." I turned to face him and blurted out hurriedly.

"What?" He asked carelessly as if he hadn't paid attention to what I'd said.

"I am ready," I said again, glaring innocently at him. I couldn't believe it, but I'd said it. I was ready to give our marriage a chance. 

"For, what?" He questioned, glancing at me for a second and then back to the windshield as he was driving.

"For giving a chance to our marriage." I replied, as I blushed.

"What?" The moment he heard the words marriage and chance, he immediately pressed his foot on the brakes and stopped the car.

"Say, again?" He glared, widening his eyes open and a little smirk lingered at the edge of his lips.