Chapter 2

That great feeling didn't feel so good on the walk home though. I felt uneasy when I already started to hear the rumble of a car engine. There was only one word going through my mind. Shit. I knew as soon as I heard it I was asking for trouble walking by my lonesome. I started picking up the pace before they even saw me...I should explain.

You see, there are three classes in my town. You have us Greasers, the boys wear their hair long and greased back and we all drive souped up old cars. The boys wear white t-shirts with jeans and leather jackets or flannels along with tennis shoes or boots. Some girls on this side of town are real dirty. I'm not saying I am, I'm just saying some are. They're the type of girls who wear their skirts too short and wear too much eye makeup. I'm not gonna lie to you, I wear short skirts sometimes but I don't wear them to school like these girls.

Next you have middle-class. I call 'em the lucky dogs. They don't brawl with either gangs and live normal lives. They have enough money to afford nice things, but not amazingly rich things, like the Socs. The Socs are the West-Side rich kids, and no one could ever tell me different. I hate them with a passion, every last one of 'em. Especially one particular Soc named Sherri Valance. I hate that girl so much, prancing around like she owns the whole town and everyone in it along with her Soc boyfriend Bob and his buddies. Who happened to be right on my tail by now.

I had gotten to the park when they rolled down the windows and started talking real dirty. Calling me all types of names from a to z. I didn't mind though, I'm not the type to get uptight about that kind of stuff, so I just kept walking. I just made it to the jungle gym when they got out of their car. There were only three of the big oafs so I figured I might be able to take them on. Just so happens I couldn't.

I thought I could make a run for it but they pinned me down on the concrete, which hurt like a bitch might I add. I started thrashing all around and managed to wriggle my way free but only for a few seconds. I ran and got pinned again. Before they were able to pull me down I flicked out my switch and cut one boys' hand. He then continued to call me not-so-nice words. His other friend pinned me down and boy did he weigh a ton. He could've kept me there all year...so I started screaming. "Shut her up won't ya Richie," Randy said while holding his hand. Bob pulled out a handkerchief and handed it to Richie who attempted to put it in my mouth. I wouldn't have it though and kept wriggling, thrashing, screaming, and crying for dear life. I heard some stomping across the pavement and immediately screamed louder. That got the Socs moving. They ran for their car and I sat up, flicked out my knife, and closed my eyes tight hoping it was greasers. I rocked myself back and forth and waited. I heard the click-clack of boots and tennis shoes scuffling towards me. I was gripping my knife so tight my knuckles must've been platinum blonde. I felt someone crouch down beside me and I opened one eye scared to death. It was a greaser.

"Hey, it's ok. We chased 'em off...you're safe now...Sammie? Is that you!?" My God it was Two-Bit Mathews and his gang who chased them off. I let out a shaky breath,"Yeah it's me," I said. I was still a bit shaken but I was alright. "Damn Socs need to be put in their place for roughing up a kid, let alone a girl," he exclaimed. "I'm no kid Two-Bit," I told him. He rolled his eyes. A boy came up behind him, he sure was a looker. "Who's this Two," he questioned. "An old friend Soda," he smiled. I stood up and put out my hand,"Samantha Maraschino, but my friends call me Sammie," I smiled at him. He put his hand out to shake and I pulled away at the last second and smoothed my hair. He cracked a grin and I gave him a sly smirk. "Definitely one of your friends Two-Bit," he chuckled. More people started gathering around us, Two's gang I assumed. "Who's the borad?" I heard those words spill from Tulsa's toughest. That's what I liked to call Dallas Winston. "Samantha Maraschino," I told him while I rolled my eyes,"but I'm no broad. I'm not like the sluts you talk up at Buck's." He looked astonished to hear me say that and I just stood there proud of myself. "Well I assume you know Dallas," Two-Bit laughed. I cracked a smile and the rest of his gang howled with laughter. "The big one over there is Darry, the one with grease all over him is Steve, the dark haired one is Johnny and the one without sleeves is Ponyboy," he said. I looked at them all one by one but when my eyes landed on Pony I know you could just see my cheeks turn red. We both looked at each other and he smiled a toothy grin at me. I nearly fainted so I looked down at the ground and smiled,"Look, thanks for the help, but I gotta head home. I have to get ready and be out by the time my ma gets home. Don't wanna be around when she's there ya know?" I said. Two-Bit nodded. He knew I didn't like to be around mom. "Well do you need to come with us, you look a little scratched up," he said. "These little things? They aren't even from the Socs," I said and cracked a grin. "I'm just gonna head home, I can walk and talk, I'm alright. Thank you for the help though," I said. "Anytime," Sodapop said. I smiled and waved goodbye. "Hey Sammie, what're you getting ready for anyway?" "The drive-in, they're showing a new beach movie I've been dying to see. Headed over with the whole gang, you should all come and meet 'em. I'm sure you'll love 'em,"I told them all. "Maybe we'll see ya over there," Two-Bit said.