Chapter 4

I have no idea why Ariana's so wigged out about meeting new people. I know she's shy...but I have to keep her on her toes. It's more fun that way anyhow. We walked back to the car the boys were hanging out by. "I found these kids and brought 'em over, I know they're not the best fighters around but-" I got elbowed in my ribs, freshly cut I might add, by Aster. "I'm Aster," she stuck out her hand and waited for a shake. Dallas Winston being the sly sucker he his grabbed it and kissed it. I saw a faint shade of red cover Aster's face and was surprised. She never acted this way around boys. Of course Nails was next to introduce herself, "Nails," she said with a head nod. I saw one of the boys eyeing her and her tattoo that creeped up around her collarbone. "Maze, but y'all already know me," she smiled. She hopped on Two-Bit's back and he spun her around. She was the newest blonde he'd picked up and the longest lasting relationship he'd ever had. Lauren spoke up next with a dazzling smile, "I'm Lauren, but you can call me whatever you please." Finally Olivia opened her mouth,"I'm Olivia but I don't like it so call me Liv or Olive." It seemed it was going to be nearly impossible to get Ariana to unhinge her jaw so I spoke for her. "This is Ariana, she's 15 and speaks about as much as I did when I was a newborn," I said clapping a hand over her shoulder. She looked down at the ground then back up at Sodapop Curtis. He always had a chick draped around his arms. Today it was his long-time girlfriend Sandy, as per usual these days. He had his arm wrapped tightly around her small waist and hers around his torso. They were cute but I knew Ari was dying inside. I gave her a sympathetic look.

"Why don't we find some seats or do somethin'," I remarked. I got nods and "Sure's," in agreement. We headed towards the chairs again. We sat down, and as I looked around to see who was sitting next to me, none other than Ponyboy was sitting to the left of me on the last seat. My heart started pounding so hard in my chest I was sure San Francisco could hear it. I was nervous, but I was never nervous around boys! They never paid attention to me anyways. I'm not pretty or smart or good at fighting. I have no good qualities besides bring a goof and I can rarely pull that bit off. I smiled a shy smile at him and he said," So you're the Sammie Two-Bit keeps talking about?" I guess that was surprising considering I was drinking at the age of 14. I'd started doing it after Curly and I's break-up. He had started to harass me and I was just letting him. Anyways I just nodded, "Yep that's me." There was an awkward silence so I broke it, "I heard this movie is supposed to be one of the best all year." His face seemed to beam, "You like movies," he questioned. "Of course! I come here at least twice a week," I confessed. "What days do you go, maybe we could meet up one day," Pony sputtered. I could barely believe the words that just spilled from his mouth. Johnny pinched me on the arm and I woke back up,"I'd love that," I said as coolly as possible. He grinned back at me. I was surprised he was actually talking to me, I'd heard he had a fling going with...as if on cue she popped up.

"Hi Ponyboy," she giggled at him. He just smiled and waved. I could tell he enjoyed the attention she gave him because she was a Soc and we never got noticed by Socs. "What are you doing here," she asked sick with sweetness. "I'm here to watch the new movie, and yourself," he asked her. "Same as you, I heard this movie was supposed to be divine! Marilyn Monroe is in it and she's my idol," she exclaimed. "Why is she your role model," I asked inquisitively. "Because she's gorgeous and I want to look just like her," she said mesmerized. "Well that's not a good reason for you to idolize her. You shouldn't idolize someone based on their looks. I like James Dean but I don't 'idolize' him," I pointed out to her. Then things got ugly.

"Who are you to be talking, grease," she uttered. "I have a view just like you do except yours is obviously wrong, Southside," I said with resentment. She seethed with rage,"Well I don't remember asking for your opinion." "Well I can speak freely, this is America if I recall. If you don't like it take you and all of your Soc friends home you little bi-," and that's when things got REALLY ugly.

She slapped me across the face and scratched it. Pony sat there so shocked, I felt bad about this next part. All of my girls immediately stood up but I motioned for them to stop and sit down. I got up and walked towards her and she started backing up until she backed into another car. I stood at least 3 inches under her. She said,"What're you gonna do, greaser?" She sneered the word greaser. That's when all hell broke loose. I pulled her hair and took one punch to the face and she was out like a light. My hand throbbed and I fell to the ground as did she. I sat there in the dirt while her body fell in slow motion. I caught her head so it wouldn't kill her to fall down. I got up and walked out of the theater with tears streaming silently down my face. This was the first time I had cried since 'The Curly Thing'.

The only person to run after me was...Dallas? "Hey kid, you ok," he asked. "Yeah, I'm fine," I muttered. I picked up the pace trying to lose him. "You tryin' to lose me," he questioned. "Yes," I said halfheartedly. He sped up to me,"Look kiddo, I'm glad you hit her. That little broad has been using Pony like a slave." I looked up at him with a tear-stained face,"Why would she do that?" "Because her other boyfriend makes her do everything for him," he replied," But I'm glad you decked her. Lemme see your hand." I stuck it out and it had been slit open apparently. "Maybe you should come with me, we can fix this sucker up at the Curtis." I reluctantly agreed to follow Dallas into the night.