Chapter 33

PART III: CALLISTO VIDAR

With the palm of my hand open towards the floor of the ballroom, I make my way to get as close to where the emperor is walking in as possible. There's a determined expression on my face, empowered by the fact that Emma's emotions had decided that this was in fact the right time to confess them to me. I wish I could have spent time addressing what she said, but time is precious right now.

Even a second of time could foil our nearly perfect mission here tonight.

Slowly, I acquire the air around me to follow the commands of my hand, but I still blend in with the crowd, watching Emperor Zaselir's smug ass trudge through towards the front. He had the audacity to set his throne right there up some stairs so he can sit high up and observe these foolish people he'd conned into believing he was great.

"I'm in the clear," I say in a low voice between gritted teeth. "Building up power now. Once he sits down, he's mine."

"Good work, Callisto," Adamantos replies, but I hear the strain in his voice. Now is when we all prove just how good of a job we performed all evening. This is what it all comes down to, even though there's a countdown now.

And more than that, I can't fucking stand that he's so intent on using everyone's full names, so when I return back to the hideout, I will be giving him a piece of my mind.

"My fucking name is Cal," I mutter at him, and he ignores my words.

Ten more steps, ten more seconds. My eyes watch Zaselir walk up the steps to his golden throne, and I follow in slow, calculated movements.

Nine steps, eight, seven...

The magic builds up inside of me, and I feel my insignia tattoo burning at the edges. My dress only barely covers it, but the second it starts glowing, it's game over. Not just for me, but for the emperor, because when the insignia tattoo glows, it means I'm at the peak of my magic.

Six, five, four...

Several people part as I walk through, and I keep an eye on the soldiers at the bottom of the steps and at the emperor's side. All of them will be easy to to deal with, especially once the sharpshooter assassins, Leonard and Misty, take out any and every soldier in the ballroom.

Three, two, one...

"Excuse me, you can't-"

I throw my hands up to push air out on either side of me, throwing the soldiers back and away. Gasps and cries of surprise erupt in the crowd as I make my way up the stairs, a look of disgust crossing my features. I don't look away from Zaselir, now that he sees me.

One hand holds up the wall of wind to keep everyone away from me, while I use my other to call upon the fire in the torches of the chandeliers. A thin stream of fire comes towards me, and the crowd backs. I hear the struggles behind me, the gala guests all slowly understanding what's happening.

Shots ring out in well-timed execution, but not at me. Rather, at persons around me, at the crowd. We all agreed casualties were sure to occur, that I was to release the full force of my magic, regardless of those around me. When screams break out, I feel the pressure build up in my blood. The rage, the anger.

This is it. This is the moment I've been waiting for, for almost nine long years. This is the moment I've been promised since the day Lineya was executed.

The soldiers that stand guard beside Zaselir point their rifles at me and begin shooting, but all it takes is a little bit of intention to send fire towards them and light them up. Zaselir, however, just sits on his throne, gripping the arms of his seat. He makes no move to get up and escape, he doesn't even say a word.