28: LEAVING

Skylar met Crimson when he was fifteen.

Skylar and Wes were outside of a convenience store, trying to get passerby's to buy them alcohol. They were sophomores in high school, and Wes had been invited to a party. He was tasked with bringing the liquor, and Skylar tagged along for the chaos of it. Skylar didn't even like parties, and had no intention of going.

Most people ignored them, threatened to call their parents or the cops, or gave short lectures. However, eventually, a man only slightly bigger than Wes, with dark umber skin and a red button down, was walking by.

"Hey!" Wes whisper-yelled at the guy, who didn't hear him. He had to do it again, and only then did the man stop and give him his full attention.

"Hey, we'll, uh, we'll give you money if you buy us some booze," Wes told him articulately, visibly nervous. It's not like they'd gotten the best responses up to that point, and at first the man frowned at him. Then, his focus turned to Skylar.

Skylar wasn't a huge fan of alcohol, or anything of the sort. He tended to already get himself in enough trouble as is. He felt no desire to add even more reasoning for people to worry about him. He tried to stay away from substance abuse, and wasn't really an active participant in all of this, he mostly just found it entertaining—again, he wasn't even going to the party.

The man agreed easily, something that kind of put Skylar off. He didn't think much of it, because it was getting kind of late and he was ready for this all to be over with anyway.

When the guy entered the store, Wes was so excited. He was unbelievably happy, and even more so when the guy left and had purchased even more than asked. Wes was over the moon, always so obsessed with having everyone's approval. He thanked the man profusely, then jumped in the car he'd borrowed from his mother. He pulled out of the parking lot immediately—already late—and Skylar prepared to walk home.

"You're not going to the party?" Skylar heard from behind himself, and he turned to face the guy, who still hadn't left yet. He quirked an eyebrow at him, something about the atmosphere feeling off.

"Uh, no," Skylar replied dumbly, feeling confused. Did this man not have somewhere to be? Skylar contemplated pulling the stranger danger card.

"What kid doesn't like alcohol?"

This guy was fucking freaky, and Skylar was quite aware of it. However, he also had a strange... air about him. Like he had all the answers, and honestly, Skylar could use that. At that point in his life, Skylar was pretty lost.

Skylar wasn't the happiest person—he had a horrible relationship with his parents, which seemed to get worse every year. Also, his real best friend (his brother, Jessie) had been spending all his time with this fucking asshole named Ashton. Skylar wanted to punch that guy every time he saw his stupid face, because he had no right to steal Skylar's brother away. Skylar was here first. Ashton was so cocky about everything, too, which made it way worse.

"I don't know, not my thing." Skylar replied, but he was pretty invested in the conversation. He didn't show it, pissed off at how this guy seemed to be drawing him in. "I'm kind of fifteen, dumbass."

Skylar's attitude didn't seem all that appreciated, but the guy moved on quite fast.

"You strike me," The guy began, and he took a step closer. Skylar narrowed his eyes, fully ready to fight him if needed, even though he'd probably lose. "As someone in need of direction."

Skylar took pause at that. He thought about his life at that moment. His dad was never home, his stepmom couldn't stand him. His mom never talked to him, and all his friends ever wanted to do was shit that would get him put up for adoption. Sure, Jessie was awesome, and Skylar still considered the guy to be his best friend. However, he didn't even really see Jessie all that much anymore.