thirteen - the queen's approval

THE FIRST THING Odette does upon arriving to the Hawkins Innovation Ball— exactly two and twenty minutes after it had started(due to Lady Thorpe's insistence on adding extra pins into her hair)— was laugh

     How could she not? She had barely made it into the ballroom before her entire family had to halt on the stairs due to a crowd of ladies surrounding Colin and making it impossible to continue the procession.

     "Tactless women," Lady Thorpe scoffs, catching the attention of the girls closest to them, who hurriedly start latching arms and nudging each other.

     The girls scamper off, slightly embarrassed by the Countess, and Odette thinks it might be the one good thing the woman has done since arriving.

     "Nice fan club," Odette manages to whisper as she is ushered past the Bridgerton boy, and Lady Thorpe has her move so fast that he cannot respond.

     He simply stares at the back of her head as she is pushed towards suitors, the memory of her smirk as she passed him stuck in his mind.

     Lady Thorpe insists on stopping to greet the queen, a feat that Odette is not quite ready for after the last time.

     "We need to have her approval still, even if you are not the diamond. A simple head nod from Her Majesty will increase your suitors."

     Odette nods, understanding that if she wants to secure a match this season is does not hurt to have as many options as possible.

     The duo stop in front of Her Majesty's raised stage, once again diving into a low bow and paying their respects.

     "Rise." Followed by, "that was quite a feat earlier today, wasn't it?"

     Odette and the Countess share a quick look of confusion, neither wanting to admit they don't understand.

     Her Majesty seem to notice, and continues, "with the balloon."

     Lady Thorpe jumps at the opportunity to speak now that she knows the topic.

     "Oh yes, your majesty, very impressive innovation."

     Queen Charolette considers the Countess for a moment before saying, "I was speaking of the heroic men who saved it from crashing into that poor Featherington girl."

     "Oh yes, your majesty, I am so glad they were able to stop the disaster."

     Her Majesty looks directly at Odette, whom had not spoken a peep yet.

     "And what about you?"

     Odette smiles, "I was very impressed."

     Her face must have betrayed her. And the Queen is very well informed.