Janet Drablow

'It all started roughly 10 years ago.'

The ragged voice of the woman pierced the silence that sat disturbingly between us. I looked at her with a worried expression. Maybe she was having some sort of seizure...

'Wait, what do you mean 'I saw her'?' I enquired curiously.

'I mean, saw WHO?'

Completely ignoring my question, she continued.

'10 years ago, that's when people reckon it all began. There was... a woman. Janet Drablow was her name. Mad, strange woman she was.

Lived in that great big house, Eel Marsh, husband abandoned her when she became pregnant, and she was stuck with a little baby boy to raise by herself. The stress of it made her... crazy. Knocked her completely out of her wits.'

The woman took a long, lingering gulp from her mug, which was now half empty. Wiping her mouth on a napkin, she continued.

'People around here (Heath village) grew cautious and uncertain. The child, was only young, and may have been in danger, with a mother like that. So, Janet's unwilling sister came to take him away, to prevent any damage towards him.'

Nervously fiddling with the shawl wrapped loosely around her waist, like most barmaid wear, she nervously added.

'As you won't be surprised to hear, that didn't sit too well with Janet.'

I began delicately chewing my nails, wondering what would come next.

'I am a little surprised, I mean you said this woman was mad, did you not?' I questioned her.

'Alas, crazy as she may have seemed, she must have had the impression, the reason she was alive in the first place, was so she could protect her son. I would be willing to bet that she would murder people, if it ensured her son's safety.'

Another sinister silence, and a few twitches, before she continued, as though by force.

'The boy was still taken however, causing an uproar, by Janet. She tried everything to get him back, even stealing him in the dead of night, which clearly just made her more of a danger to society. Finally, God knows how, she seemed to except her situation. Depression must have convinced her that he was in safer hands. But, she still sent him countless letters and presents, so as still to keep in contact, even if it was distant.'

The woman's face, began turning a frightening white and pinched, as though she hadn't eaten in days.

'Are you...ok?... Do you want me...' I turned around looking for any other civilization about, to help.

She waved her hand at me, gesturing I did nothing and just waited.

I did so, patiently, and she continued.

'I'm fine, I just find this next bit, rather horrible.'

I patted her, and comfortingly said:

'Its okay, this subject, as I understand is a delicate one for you, so please take all the time you require.'

After a minute or two of merely deep breathing, she began muttering the remains of the story.

'Janet grew aware, after a while, her letters were not being given to her son at all, as there was no replies. Ever. She sent an angry and confused telegram to her sister, asking why she couldn't at least write to her son, if she couldn't even see him, surely she was at least allowed to communicate in some way.'

Another nervous cough.

'Um, well...Janet's telegram wasn't replied to, same as the rest of them.

And no one really saw Janet after that. People saw glimpses of her in her house, but no more than that. People were afraid she might be plotting, once again, to kidnap her son, but months went by and nothing.'

A swig of the liquid sitting in the mug, draining it, before looking back at me.

'Then....her boy died.'

I gasped.

'Wait....so she...she...killed him or something? Or did he die of, disease?' I stuttered swiftly, a note of panic in my tone.

'No, no, no nothing of the sort, he was being escorted somewhere by carriage on a foggy day, when the driver got lost and somehow, ended up stuck in the Marsh overlooking Eel Marsh house. Janet's sister and the driver, abandoned the carriage, running for their lives, and left the boy to drown, in the ever sinking carriage, being pulled into the depths of the Marsh.'

I felt sick. Literally sick. I felt I could actually throw up at how repulsive the situation was.

'But... her own... SISTER...?'

The woman nodded. Her face was grim, and I could see through her teeth she had gritted teeth.

'Janet, made a final appearance when she caught wind that her son had been cruelly left to die, and it was when she hanged herself. People could see the limp body swinging from the balcony, but not before she said these last words.'

I shivered. A body. Hanged from a HOUSE.

'What......what words?'

I almost didn't want to hear the answer.

'Never forgive, never forget.'