02: Mira

Chapter 2

-Miracle Astor-

I sat quietly in my window nook, with my book long forgotten in my lap, I kept staring up at the beautiful stars outside my window while I waited for one of the twins to barge inside my room to chastise and insult me again for being late in class which really wasn't even my fault.

I don't plan on telling them what happened though because I know from experience they wouldn't listen at all; they would just always end up believing their full blooded brother than their bastard half sister. I can't blame them.

Since Corbin was ten after dad died, he made it his life long mission to always get me in trouble especially with our brothers. And to think we used to be close.

I let out a sigh as I placed my book down and pulled my knees to my chest, curling my body into a ball. I know all four of them are already having dinner in the dining room so I guess I will have to wait until they finish then. I can only eat dinner after they're finished because apparently they don't want to lose their appetite with me present at the table, and they won't allow me to eat my dinner in my bedroom, so I still have to go to the dining room and eat dinner there by myself.

I was snapped out of my thoughts after hearing soft knocking outside my door. Dana?

"Come in!" I called.

The door opened and Dana walked inside and closed the door behind her then turned to look at me with her familiar sympathetic smile, meaning I would probably end up crying my heart out to sleep again.

"Yes, Dana? Just tell me, it's okay." I forced a polite smile.

She frowned and shook her head, quickly walking over to me and gently holding my hands.

I do miss this feeling of being gently held by someone who actually cares about me.

"No, it's not okay, my sweet little Miss. What they have been doing to you for the past eight years is not okay. Your father would be furious if only he could see how those boys have been treating you." She whisper-yelled as tears started to stream from her eyes.

My heart warms seeing how much Dana truly cares about me. Dana is like a mother-figure to me as dad was the one who assigned her to be my personal maid since I was a newborn, she was also my wet nurse.

But the biggest problem is their father is not my real father, that's just how my brothers see it.

"They are treating me exactly as I deserve, Dana, and I'm fine with that. I understand their anger and I deserve it so if this is the way I can pay back for what biological father did, then so be it. I'm not cross with them at all because even though they hate me, they still let me stay here, they feed me, they let me go to school, and they provide for me. They may hate me but I still love them because they're still my brothers." I explained to her with a genuine smile on my face.

I was surprised when she suddenly pulled me in a hug.

"You're wrong, Miss Mira, no one deserves this kind of treatment from their brothers, especially you. But I'm glad that even after everything you've been through you continue to remain the same sweet and kind girl I know. You are just like your mother." She pulled out of the hug and placed a kiss on my forehead.

Like my mother? In what way?

No one in this house would ever tell me anything about my mother, what was she like or something, even dad really talked about her.

Before I could ask Dana what she meant by that, she already started talking again.

"Now let's get you to the dining room, we've already kept those brothers of yours waiting long enough."