Chapter 6

The Battles of Love: A Neville Longbottom fanfic
Chapter 6

Draco's POV

There are three other things that I am starting to to hate aside from Potter. One, that new Bulgarian womanizer. What was his name again? Alecsander? No wait, Aleksandar. Yeah, him. He's such a copycat of myself, only that he's obviously nicer. Second, Neville Longbottom. His innocence and shyness pisses me off to the bone. It's like I want to punch him for being to quiet all the time. Plus he's being so defensive over that girl transfer, Eleanor. I think that's her name... We've never even been properly introduced and we're kind of already bickering. Yeah I know she's pretty and sweet and all but she isn't her boyfriend, right? Since when did he start being such a hero? Third, when people have the last say. I am Draco Malfoy, resident bad- boy and Prince of Slytherin. I always get the last say. Especially from Eleanor. She's friends with Potter, which annoys me even more. I don't care how attractive, or brave or smart she is- I can't let her get in my way.

The Weasely twins started throwing some kind of sparklers in the air, which fascinated most of us. I didn't really pay attention to that.  

I payed attention to something else. 

I kept on stealing glances at Eleanor once in a while, which made me more curious about her. She usually talked to Longbotton, which really annoyed me. It looked like he was her boyfriend, but of course he wasn't. Why would someone as pretty as her like him? 

Professor Umbridge finally came in the classroom, and she used non- verbal spell that made the sparklers immediately die down. The class became completely silent as she walked in. 

"Good morning, children," she said with a smile. She held up her wands, and the books slowly levitated to our desks. "Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations... O.W.L., more commonly known as 'owls.' Study hard, and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be... severe. Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven, but you will be pleased to know from now on we will be following a carefully constructed, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic."

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells..." Hermione Granger said. I rolled my eyes internally. Why was this girl such a nosy know-it-all? No one wonder Gryffindor always loses points.

Umbridge turned to her. "Using spells? Ha, ha! Why, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom," she squeaked.

"We're not going to use magic?" Ron Weaely asked. Ugh. Another misfit.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way," Umbridge explained. Well that sucks. What's the point of magic if you're not going to use spells?

"Well, what's the good of that? If we're going to be attacked, it's not going to be risk-free," Potter objected. Bloody hell, why all of a sudden they're getting defensive?

Umbridge pursed her lips together as she turned away to the board. "Students will raise their hands to speak in my class," she strictly said. "It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examination which, after all, is what school is all about."

"And how is theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Potter asked.

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children, like yourselves?" Umbridge said perkily.

"Oh, I don't know, maybe... Lord Voldemort?" Potter said as if it was common sense.

The students started murmuring and whispering and soon enough the room became an echo. I rolled my eyes and I dropped my head on my desk. Can this class get any boring?