Chapter 9

There was nothing classy about this place. I could tell just sitting here in the car. Being located on the seediest side of town aside, the place was a grade-A certified dump. Calling it a strip club was adequate but cordial. And gentleman’s club was too tasteful. The only truly appropriate name a place like this could be called was titty bar. And I still feel generous about that.

            Even at night the building was grimy and sour looking, the off white paint age stained and peeling. The neon lettering beside a flashing nude woman read Palms Up in fading jaundice yellow that was once likely gold.

            “So what’s the plan?” Jackson asked from the driver’s seat.

            “I…don’t know.”

            “What! We’re going in there without a plan?”

            “It’s a strip club! Why would we need a plan?”

            “Alright,” he gave me a look of pure condescension. “It’s time for Jackson’s plan!”

            “You have a plan?”

            “Yes. Unlike you, I am prepared for the mission.”

            “Boy, you are really getting into this.”

            “I did some asking around about the place. Went to see some old friends, and they told me that to get into the club, you need a password.”

            The look I gave him must have been a doozy because he smiled in an even more satisfied manner. “What kind of strip club has a password?”

            “The kind that’s dealing some serious dirty.”

            “Okay, so what’s your plan?”

            “We’re gonna go in there and…say the password.”

            “Brilliant.”

            “And I even have a plan B.” He reached over me and opened the glove compartment. When the light flipped inside I could just make out the handle of a gun.

            “Jackson!”

            “What? It’s for protection.”

            “You know you’re not supposed to have that. If they catch you with it, they’ll throw you right back in jail.”

            “Then I guess I’d better not get caught.”

            “How’d you get that anyway?”

            “I have a friend.”

            “With friends like that…”

            “Hey, a lot of people are still upset with me for taking that plea bargain. I have to protect myself. And momma.”

            “Whatever. Just leave it in the car.”

            “Fine,” he closed the glove compartment. “I still think you should have worn something sexier.” he said as he looked over the unnecessary layers of clothing I had chosen to wear.

            “Oh this is soo not the place to draw attention.”

            We got out of the car and walked toward the awning covered entrance. The parking lot was sprinkled with the remnants of a light shower that made the grey concrete seem soiled and squalid. Or maybe I was just projecting my own feelings.