CHAPTER-5

ETHAN

"Remember, your feelings are valid. It's okay to feel sad, angry, or confused. Take it one day at a time and lean on trusted friends or family. Your parents' divorce isn't your fault, and it's normal to have mixed emotions. You're not alone in this journey," I reassured Jonah, who hadn't uttered a word since he arrived. His parents had dragged him to therapy, and he clearly thought I saw him as fragile. But that wasn't true.

"Thank you for the session," Jonah muttered as he stood up abruptly.

Okay, Ethan, time to head home

I tossed my bag and coat onto the passenger seat of my car. I couldn't help but think back to all those people who advised me to quit psychology because they believed dealing with mental health issues was scary . They'd never understand the satisfaction of helping someone heal. It was like that Lana Del Rey lyric: "Scary? My god, you're divine." Maybe Jonah didn't like me, but I genuinely liked him—not just because I was a psychiatrist, but because I was human.

Suddenly, a knock on my car window interrupted my thoughts.

"Yes?" I asked.

"You can't proceed, it's restricted," the policeman informed me.

"What happened?" I inquired.

"A high school student was screaming, tearing his own clothes, hitting himself in the middle of the road, and then suddenly dropped dead. Seems like another mentally ill bastard," the officer grumbled.

"Wait, let me see. I'm an intern psychiatrist," I insisted, getting out of the car. My heart sank as I recognized Jonah. His condition hadn't seemed this dire during our session.

"Are you sure he hurt himself and this isn't a murder?" I pressed the officer, who seemed irritated at the extra workload Jonah had caused.

"That's what witnesses say. We'll review the camera footage tomorrow," he replied curtly.

"Alright, keep me informed. I want to see that footage," I replied before heading back to my car. I'd never encountered a case like this, but I still had a year left in my studies, may be there's more to discover in psychology.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I rang the doorbell at home, and Siya opened the door. I brushed past her and dumped my bag and coat on the table.

"Can I get a glass of water?" I requested, and she nodded, handing me a glass.

"Thanks," I said, taking a sip. "Rough day at work," she asked, sitting beside me.

"Kinda. How was your day?" I inquired.

"Fine until lunch, then fantastic after," she replied with a smile.

"Ah, intriguing. Care to share over dinner?" I teased.

She told me about her day and her new friend, and I felt relieved that she'd had a normal day after a long time. I suggested she go write in her diary (which I knew she'd never touch).

" so now, tell me what happened at work today?" she said curious to know .

" nothing much" "Don't you remember what Mom said?" she asked quietly.

We sat in silence for what felt like a full minute. I could see regret in her eyes; she knew mentioning Mom's words could stir up a lot for me. But I understood her concern.

"I-I'm sorry for bringing that up, Ethan," she stammered.

"Mom said that," I affirmed softly.

"Promise me," she continued, her voice steady now,

"you will never hide things from each other".

"We may not be here tomorrow"

" but you both have to be there for each other. "

"Take care of each other, love each other"

" and no matter what happens, no matter how tough things get"

" be there for each other and share everything."

"Also, don't fight over tacos."

We completed each other's sentences, reciting our mother's words. She hugged me tightly, and I held onto her for a long moment.

"You've changed, Ethan," she said, a tear in her eye and a bittersweet smile on her face.

"Huh, me? Nah, I haven't changed," I tried to joke.

"Uh-huh, can I date boys?" she teased back.

"Of course, why are you even asking? It's your life," I reassured her, realizing how much more relaxed I had become.

"See, you've changed," she pointed out, standing up and heading to her room.

As she left, I reflected on her words. She was right; I had changed. Back then, any mention of 'dating' would have sent me into a panic, overprotective and worried. But now, I was more mature, understanding that it was just a part of growing up, nothing serious.

"Don't forget to wash the dishes," she called out from her room.

"Okay," I replied, taking care of the chores before heading to bed.

Lying there, I couldn't shake my concern for Jonah. Tomorrow, I hoped, would bring some answers.

"Goodnight, Ethan," I sighed, hoping for a calmer day ahead.