Chapter 4: A Robot Princess

I paced in front of the infirmary and bit my nails. Larissa was sitting across from me, watching people rush past her with red puffy eyes. Around the corner, many of the rest of the selection girls were shouting at Prince Black and demanded to leave. They wanted the first plane out of here. I looked over them disgusted and confused. We all just survived a plane attack and they want to leave.... on a goddam plane? Jesus, If this was a different situation then I would be scared of planes. I'm already little spooked of heights, why don't we just top it off with crashing planes! yay! I let out a frustrated groan and slid down next to Larissa. We both sat there in silence, not knowing what to say to each other. Although, we quite bonded with each other on the plane, I suppose it only last because of Amira. I didn't say much to Larissa and it was only Amira who continued the conversation. What happens if Amira doesn't make it? What will happen to the selection? What about Larissa?

That was a lot of blood... is Amira strong enough?

"I am no doctor" A voice whispered next to me. I looked sideways and saw Larissa staring at me. I found her eyes very intimidating and slightly shrunk away from her. My father would be displease. "But I had my fair share in death"

"Family?" I spoke hoarse. As if I spent hours crying and screaming. In this situation, most would assume that. However, It isn't true, I just don't cry anymore. So body trained itself so act like I did and there is the aftermath.

"I suppose yea, they would be consider family" Larissa lean her head back against the wall. "I work at an animal shelter for most of my life. I tend for the animals, play with the animals, befriend the animals." She smiled as her eyes became glossy. I could practically see the memories flash one by one in her eyes. "Of course, you can't have life without death."

I uncurled my knees and stretched them out and let my arms fall on my sides.

"His name was Brownie" she chuckled "I didn't name him, my younger brother did when he came to visit me. He was the most beautiful brown baby I have ever seen. The pug I mean not my little brother"

We both laughed slightly at the attempt to lighten the mood but it only lasted for a while.

"The shelter saved Brownie from a fire, I was assigned to help him. Brownie was my first assignment. i walked him, fed him, took care of him. I always loved him. I wasn't aloud to take him away from the Shelter because he was sick. All of the fumes from the fire had burned one of his lungs and his paw was twisted. The poor baby. The mother died and he was an only child. He had no one but he had me. I was his favorite, his ears would twitch every time I would speak. One day, As I was putting things up from my afternoon break slash performance. I saw the little guy whine and clawed the door. He looked at me with his big doe eyes and I melted. I grab his leash and took him out for a walk. I wasn't planning to take him out to far but I was in a daze. We continued to walk further and further. Finally, I sat down at a bench in a park and watch the sun went down behind a hill. I picked him up and massage his almost healed foot. We walked pretty far and I was afraid he would collapse but he didn't. He curled on my chest, in my arms and yawned. He rested..." She began to choke on her words and tears begin to slide down her face. She gasp for a breath and continued to talk "he rested his tiny head on my arms and closed his eyes. I was in total bliss, I could feel his little heartbeat pound against my wrist. Half an hour passed and it was getting dark, I was debating on if to wake him up and let him walk or just carry him. I picked the latter and walked back to the shelter. I didn't noticed that he didn't stir when I got up, I wasn't paying attention to his ears when I spoke to him. It wasn't until I shift him because my arms was getting tired and he felt life less. I placed my fingers on his chest and I couldn't feel anything! I ran to the shelter, screaming for help and I was sorry!" Larissa shook and I immediately held her in my arms.