31. Lust and Love

AURORA DANIELS

♡♡♡♡♡

I wasn't the type of person to feel underdressed or insecure about the way I looked. Because I took a lot of pride in how I looked.

I was a strong believer that if you looked good, you'd feel good, and on most occasions that was true.

Sometimes all you'd need to brighten your day was doing an unnecessary glamorous makeup look for about a few hours and then washing it off.

Yet, I stood in Soren's shadow as people walked over to him to wish him a happy birthday.

The atmosphere was extremely powerful. You could tell everyone here had some sort of authority. While my only sense of authority was having Soren panic when he would say no to me.

He laced his fingers through mine, a way to show me some sort of comfort, in what was an overwhelming environment. His head shifted downwards to look at me, he threw me a wink before leading me towards to front of the hall, where a large table sat. 

The large table in front of us was decorated with gifts galore and a massive black multitiered birthday cake. 

Everything screamed expensively. I began to feel insecure about the birthday gift I had gotten Soren. It wasn't a physical gift, nor was it expensive. I hadn't shown him yet. I was waiting until after the party to show him, considering it would officially be his birthday at midnight.

There weren't any formalities,  just music and people huddled up in groups talking, dancing and drinking amongst themselves.

"Are you hungry?" Soren asked, leading me towards the buffet. My mouth watered when I laid eyes on the spread of food in front of me.

Eagerly I nodded my head and he began to place pieces of sushi on my plate. 

Not too long after I indulged in my sushi, Soren excused himself for a moment. He said something about Giovanni needing to show him something.

As I sipped my gin, I couldn't help but feel like a small fish in a vast ocean. The room was filled with people who seemed to know each other's secrets, and I was just a stranger, tagging along with Soren.

Just as I was starting to feel like I was going to drown in this sea of unfamiliar faces, I heard a bitchy voice behind me.

"Who are you?"

I turned to see a stunning woman with piercing green eyes and long, curly hair. She was dressed in a sleek black gown that hugged her curves in all the right places. 

"Aurora," I replied, extending my hand.

She looked at my hand in disgust, but I was extremely unfazed by her attitude.  She was just another girl who probably had a crush on Soren and was trying to intimidate me.

She began to interrogate me.

"How do you know Soren?"

"Are you his girlfriend?"

"You look a bit young for him."

"Are you with him for his money?"

Her voice was suddenly drowned out when I noticed a tall, brooding figure watching us from across the room. He was dressed in a tailored suit, his eyes seemed fixed on me. However, I don't think he noticed me in the array of people scattered across the marbled floor

I felt a shiver run down my spine as his dead eyes locked onto mine. There was something intense about him, something that made me feel like he could see right through me.