Day 1

The sun was up when I woke, its rays directly hitting my face. It was around six in the morning and the temperature was extremely unbearable. Not a single wind entered my room. In fact, I don't think there was wind at all.

Sweat was trickling down my face as I sat up to check my phone.

6:03 am
Monday, June 8

The day everyone's been waiting for, the freest and hottest time of the year, the season my name will be called out often....

One word, 6 letters, 2 syllables...

Summer...

I sat up straighter with a wide grin on my face. Realization hitting me like a tornado. Today marks the first day of summer and I had to do all things correctly. I had no room for regrets sooner and I had to make the best of my last summer here before I leave for California to attend college in UCLA.

I locked the screen of my phone and stood. I stretched and jogged in place to pump up my adrenaline. I need to be active and alert for the rest of the day. I have to make sure I won't waste any time doing nothing. Time is gold and gold must not be wasted.

I changed into my black spring suit and tied my golden hair in a ponytail.
Since it's too early and Margo and Anne might still be asleep, I'll start my day in the ocean.

I ran downstairs quietly, hoping that I wouldn't wake anyone.
I went in the garage, took my yellow surf board and sprinted to the ocean.

Yep. I live on a beach. Technically, a block from the ocean. Everyday I would wake up either hearing the crashing waves on the shore or the smell of the salty wind entering my room. When it's summer, both of these things rarely happen because it's the hotness scale of the sun that'll wake you up. If you try to ignore it and continue sleeping, you'll burn alive, dehydrated, even.

I stepped on the soaked part of the sand and took a deep breath. I can't believe I couldn't do this after 50 days. Will LA have this kind of beach? Exactly the same? I don't think I can live without the ocean. I can't imagine life without smelling the salty air everyday. That's the thing about living in beaches. Everything becomes so familiar and comfortable that It becomes your home. And the sand, the ocean, the waves? It becomes a part of you. And leaving this place feels like leaving half of your heart. Difficult...

Stupid, forget about these things, you've got 50 more days.

"Yeah, I've got 50 more days before I leave for UCLA." I mumbled, hoping that 50 days would last longer than the letters that spell it. I shook my head and hooked the leash of my board to my right leg and headed to the waves.

~

"Mer!"

"Summer!"

I was lying on my board when I heard people calling my name. I bobbed my head and saw the best people in the world.
I sat up and cupped the sides of my mouth, "Margo! Anne!" I shouted.

They both giggled and jumped in the ocean. Anne had short dark hair that leveled on her shoulders and stood around 5'1. Margo, on the other hand, had auburn hair just below the shoulders and stood around 5'6.

"I can't believe it's summer!" Margo shrieked and splashed me water. "I know! It was just like yesterday we were infants and now we're graduates!" Anne added and splashed Margo some water.

They weren't like any other bestfriend you had they were cooler? No, crazier. They've been with me through thick and thin and I cant imagine--

"So, you going for UCLA?" I've been distracted from my trance by Anne and looked at both of them. They were both staring at me in return. "Come on guys, can we not? I've still got 50 more days! It's not like I'm leaving tomorrow." Well aware that my answer was far from their question. I cleared my throat and added, "Yes, I'm going to UCLA and can we please not talk about it right now? We've got so much to do today!"