003. dragonstone

The ship glided through the glassy surface of Blackwater Bay, leaving a trail of frothy white waves in its wake. The creaks of wood and the sails flapping in the heavy winds rang in Visenya's ears as she watched her former home disappear into the morning mist that dwelled upon Kings Landing. The salty breeze of the bay carried with it the distant cries of the dragons soaring above her, their saddles empty as Rhaenyra insisted it best that the children travel by boat. Telling them it was safer as young dragons tend to become unpredictable with the fog-laden air.

Visenya knew better, she could see right through her mother's protective feçade. It wasn't the dragon's unpredictability that concerned her; it was Visenya's isolation. Rhaenyra refused to let her only daughter feel left out, stranded on the sea while the others flew above. She could see it in the lingering glances, the hesitant words. Visenya tightened her grip on the ship's railing, her knuckles whitening against the dark wood as the waves below her whispered promises of adventure and unknown perils, but also of new beginnings.

She took a deep breath, inhaling the crisp sea air, and allowed herself a small, determined smile. Residing on Dragonstone was fraught with uncertainty, yet Visenya understood the necessity of the matter. War was rising and she could feel it, if Dragonstone were what it took to secure the safety of Jace, Luke and her mother then she would learn to face its trials unflinchingly.

Her thoughts drifted to Aemond once more, their bond was as close as it was intense. The two shared countless memories, from childhood games to late-night conversations amidst the dimly lit corridors of the Red Keep, chattering endlessly until sunrise. The kiss they had shared was unexpected but not unwelcome. It was only then that Visenya had realised her true feelings for Aemond. The emotions they kept hidden for so long had finally found an outlet. She thought of her soft lips brushing against his as her heart pounded with confusion and desire. It was a moment of clarity amidst the chaos that surrounded them, a revelation that changed their friendship forever.

The growing sound of footsteps approaching led Visenya to regain her awareness. "Princess, we are making excellent progress. Our ship is expected to reach Dragonstone by noon." The knight announced.

Visenya examined his appearance as he spoke, a practice she had adopted to decern the nature of those around her. His sharp features were framed by a cascade of dark hair and his piercing hazel eyes held a steady and unwavering gaze. He stood tall beside the princess,  his posture impeccably straight.

As she observed him, a sense of familiarity and ease began to settle within her. There was something in his demeanour that suggested a shared understanding, a potential for friendship. His soft gaze and warm voice had led to Visenya feeling a glimmer of hope that this knight might become more than just a loyal protector, but a trusted friend in the uncertain days ahead.

"Thank you, Ser...?" She replied, unbeknownst to how she may address him.

"Hal, Princess." He answered in a soft tone. His answer captivated Visenya's gaze.

"You are unusually young for a knight, Ser Hal. No older than my uncle Aegon, I would presume." A chuckle released at Hal's lips as Visenya spoke.

Before the boy before her could respond further, a fellow knight approached him with a solemn expression, whispering a faint order in his ear.

Hal's smile faded as he turned to Visenya "It appears duty calls." He said as a tint of sarcasm filled his voice. "I must attend to pressing matters, i shall return to continue our conversation when time allows." He finished with a respectful nod.

As he departed, His voice called out once more. "If I may, It is deemed unnecessary to address me as 'Ser', Princess. I am but a squire!" A grin appeared on his lips as he turned around once more.