Prologue

The centaur slowly moved through the forest, a relaxed expression on his face despite his tight grip on the gleaming bronze bow.  His tail swished in time with the soft clapping sound of his hooves as he listened to the bird song. Deep in thought he failed to notice the sudden hush in the forest until a faint shiver ran up his flank. He frowned as he noticed the deathly quiet forest and the chill that lingered in the air.  He cautiously moved forward between the towering trees, catching glimpses of the village settlement between gaps in the foliage. the closer he got the stronger the sense of wrongness became until he stood quivering slightly at the entrance of the small settlement. A low cry tore from his throat at the sight that met him. All dead. Every man women and child lay on the ground with sightless eyes. He slowly  walked into the village, an aching pain in his chest as he saw the cruel ways the villagers had met their end. Children with blue faces and dark bruises around their necks, women laying in crumpled heaps, various wounds strewn across their bodies, the men struck down with arrow and sword. The worst were the ones that seemed to have no cause of death. Their bodies were strewn around, draped here and there like playthings strewn across a child's room. They all had the same panicked aghast looks on their faces as though they had died of fear and grief. With sorrow etched on his face he began to bury the dead working until well after night had fallen. Upon the placement of the last person into the ground he heard a slight whimper coming from an old well. Trotting over to the well and leading inside he was astonished to find a small human girl cowering at the bottom. He waited a moment to collect his emotions and then gently called out "hold on little one I shall find a rope and get you out" the little girl lifted her tear streaked face and nodded hesitantly. He retreated and pulled a long rope from his bag, stepping back up to the old well he lowered the rope and instructed the little girl to grab on. Once he had pulled her out and set her on the grass he began to study her. She looked no older than three with fluffy chin length auburn hair and large round eyes that were a blueish green with an orangey ring around the pupil. She wore only a white nightgown with lace and seemed rather cold. Her face was streaked and dirty with tears and grime and she seemed almost afraid of him. "Who are you? Where's mommy?" She asked in a wobbly voice with a soft sight he knelt and asked "what's your name little one?" "Don have one" was the trembling reply "well little one I'm afraid your mommy had to go away, but it's okay for I shall take care of you." She looked slightly confused but nodded slowly "will mommy come back?" She asked slowly "no little one I don't think mommy will be coming back" at that moment a shooting star trailed across the sky bringing both their attentions upwards immediately it began drizzling rain and he turned back to the little girl "my name is Armollinen and your name will be Yösade." He said slowly gathering his things back into his pack "I will take care of you now come it is a long journey home." When Yösade cautiously nodded he gathered her into his arms and set off for home.

~~~~~~~~~
Y'all I did it! I made the first chapter! (Well technically it's just the prologue not a chapter but still) What do you think so far? Does it make sense? Anything I should change?
Thank you so much for any feedback and advice as well as for taking the time to read my story!

♥️ fern