Chapter 2

"Isn't that your decision to make?" Sara sounded outraged, her voice hardening. Avril had expected this response from her friends, especially Sara. Her family was a bit less controlling so she couldn't comprehend the inner workings of Avril's family.

"Well not really. I still live under their roof, so their rules." Avril responded sullenly.

"Then get your own damned roof! This is ridiculous!" She exploded and Avril smiled at her friend's reaction, it cleared her sullenness a bit.

"It's fine. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. I will get over it." she replied. They said their goodbyes and Avril plopped her cell back onto her bed. All of her friends were going to the university she wanted to go to and that gave it the extra appeal despite it having the best academic reputation for her field. She sighed and tried not to think about it. But a week had gone by and the need and desire were burning in her veins. She grew frustrated just thinking about it.

She browsed through her acceptance letter again and her heart ached. Deciding to move on from the idea, she placed the letter in her memory box and shoved it under her bed. That was all the idea of going off to that college was now, a memory and an unfulfilled dream. She sighed and made her way downstairs, her parents were entertaining a couple of their friends and her presence was needed.

Avril was basically socially awkward and being around people was something she often cringed from. She never knew exactly how to react or behave. In a nutshell she felt uncomfortable.

"Hello." She announced her arrival, the rest of the greetings were lost to her...as most of the night. Avril schooled a pleasant look upon her features, nodded when she thought she needed to and spoke when summoned to. All the while hoping for the people to just leave.

"I heard you got accepted to that university." Mrs Chambers directed at Avril who, at the mention of her failed dream almost choked on the glass of wine she was drinking.

She immediately looked to her parents and then back to the woman.

"I did, but I think I will just stay in this country for school." She replied, smiling in a manner that misrepresented the way she felt.

"That's too bad." Mr. Chambers commented. "Our daughter also got accepted. It's a marvellous university." He directed the comment at her parents. "Your daughter is lucky to have gotten accepted, not a lot of people have the opportunity. Despite her decision to stay here, I am sure you are very proud of her."

"We are." Mr Stock replied, "We are also happy she is staying close to home."

"Oh," Mrs. Chambers butted in. "It does have an appeal to have one's children always with them, but the academic achievements of our children are more important than our needs. The university is one of the very best and based on what your daughter wants to pursue, it has the best programs for her."

Having heard enough, and feeling emptier by the second at the continuous mention of a school she had tried to forget, Avril rose instantly. "I am sorry, but I need to be excused." She planted a smile on her features, her eyes avoiding that of her parents.

She spun on her heels at the confirmation that she may go and made her way directly into her room.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"He was tracking the man for months until..."

"Until he was stupid enough to get himself killed?" Thomas interjected as he was being given the details of his new assignment.