Chapter 3

"You're letting me go to the college I want?" Avril repeated the key point of her parents' discussion. In fact, it was the only words her brain held onto once the words flowed from her father's mouth. She thanked the heavens that she was sitting, her mind was swirling.

"Yes." Her father responded and Avril sat up on her bed.

"I don't understand." She replied truthfully, her eyes scrutinizing them. This had to be some form of a joke. 

"Well, we considered it and we have decided to let you go." Her father insisted but instead of feeling joy, Avril was skeptical.

"Why have you changed your mind?" She questioned them both.

"We realized that this is in your best interest." Her mother responded and Avril rose her eyebrows, an indication that she didn't buy it—at all.

"You mean" She began, her anger sailing to dangerous heights by the passing second. "You were convinced only due to the Chambers opinion." She laughed sardonically. "Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence there, you choose their opinion over your daughters." She replied contemptuously.

"Why do you take everything so personally?" Her father questioned, his voice soft and understanding, a manner he only adopted when he was in the wrong and Avril despised him for it at the moment. She didn't like that he tried to make her out to be the bad one by being so understanding especially since he had basically accused her of possessing a questionable personality. One that was hinting at her leading a double life!

"Maybe because it is?" She replied hotly and her parents sighed.

"We are allowing you to go, isn't that what you wanted?" Her mother interrupted the sting of Avril's death stares.

"It is what I want but I still hoped that you had trusted me." Avril replied, her gaze flickering to both parents ensuring they saw the disappointment in her eyes. For an entire week, she had to suffer through the hours mourning the loss of a dream they are dangling in front of her once more. She couldn't help but feel a little bit of resentment.

"You're getting to go, so count your lucky stars." Her father commanded and Avril rolled her eyes but remained quiet, an indication that she didn't want to hold the conversation any longer.

"Get some sleep." Her mother doused the awkwardness. Both parents made their way to Avril's door.

"One more thing..." Her father turned to face her once more. Avril lifted her brows in acknowledgment to her father's words and this was sufficient encouragement for him to continue.

"You will not stay on the university's grounds, I have a friend who lives close by and he has agreed to allow you to stay there while you go to school." Her father announced.

"Are you insane?" She blurted. "I can't stay by your friend's house!" She was outraged, despite her father trusting this 'friend' she was annoyed! How can she stay at someone's house? Someone she never met! And she was certain this was the first time she was hearing of them.

"You will stay where I tell you." Her father corrected and she glared at him. "You are scheduled to be at his house in a couple of weeks so that you can settle in before school officially begins."

"His house?" She questioned. "Who is this friend?"

"We worked together in our younger years, last I heard he runs his own company these days. I trust him completely and if I didn't you know I wouldn't allow you to go there." He tried to persuade her but Avril remained silent.

Everything came with a price.

Here her parents were supposedly acting as if they were giving her what she wanted but as always there was a catch.