Hold each other under your veil

Norma woke up with the sun shining in her eyes. She turned over to find her son sitting beside her. She smiled up at him as he stared off into space. "Where were you last night?" he asked.

She swallowed a bit. "I was with Alex." She didn't like talking about him with either one of her sons. Her love life was a touchy subject for them—especially Norman.

His eyes settled on her, glaring. "You know I don't like him." There was condescension in his tone.

Who was he to tell her who she could and couldn't date. She tried to brush it off. "You haven't even met him yet."

He got up from the bed and stormed to the door. "Well then maybe it's time we met." She hated it when he gave her that look. She knew he was right.

She shook her head lightly. "I don't know—"

He scowled at her. "Why not? Why don't you want us to meet each other?"

She stared at him, her mouth open slightly trying to come up with words to ease his thoughts. "Because, Norman." She got up and slowly walked towards him. There was no telling what he'd do when he got like this. "You know how you are. I know how you are. Other people don't need to know that. It's too soon."

"You've been sneaking around with him for months now." The hurt in his eyes pained her heart. She loved him more than anything—more than anyone. He was all she had. He was the only sense of light in her life. He was her saving grace.

She knew there wasn't anything she could say to change his mind. But she'd die trying. "I'm not sneaking around. Nobody's sneaking—"

"Then why are you keeping him from me? Or are you keeping me from him?" He was catching on. She'd be damned if he found out the truth.

"You're special, Norman." She placed her hands at his shoulders, gently looking into his piercing eyes. "You've always been special. No one understands that but me. Not even your brother. He doesn't get it. Alex might not get it."

His lip began to quiver. He knew there was something wrong with him. He just didn't know what. But it was his job to protect his mother. They belonged to each other. "He's just like the others, mother. He's using you just like the others."

Maybe she was in denial. Maybe she was blinded by love. But she needed Alex. He was the only one who could save her. "He's not like them. He's different. He cares about me—about us."

He violently pulled away from her. "He doesn't even know me."

"And you don't know him," she scoffed. He didn't understand. He'd never understand her.

His rolled his eyes at her. He's heard this speech before. "Oh, I know him. I know people like him. I've seen what they've done to you. He doesn't know what they've done to you. They've killed you. They've killed us."

"Don't say that, Norman." Tears gently rolled down her cheeks. She wished her could forget everything that's happened to her. She wished she could forget the choices she's made. But she can't. She's stuck. All she has left is Norman.

"You know it's true." He gave up, letting his emotions flow through.

"Norman." She tugged him into her, wrapping her arms around his fragileness. "Norman. No one's ever gonna take you away from me. I won't let them. Not this time." They sobbed quietly as they sunk to the floor, collapsing together. "Alex is a good man. You'll see." She faintly kissed his temple. "I promise."