Chapter 9

"Will you slow down?!" Britain shouted, grabbing any stable object within the car and clinging onto for dear life.

Germany knew the Brit probably regretted letting Germany drive, but Britain had to give directions and France was out of the question. Out of all of them, he seemed the most exhausted. Germany was speeding twenty miles over the speed limit, zooming down streets and the sound of tires screeching echoing in his ears when he made a too-sharp turn. 

"Take a right here.. and slowly will you?!" Britain has rasped out the first part, looking down at the map in his hand, but yelled the second part as his frame was yanked to one side and slapped against the car door at the sharp turn. "If I die, you're not allowed to come to my funeral!"

Germany didn't speak. He knew the Brit wasn't being serious. Even if he was, if he were to die, at the hands of his driving -- if that were even possible for a country -- he wouldn't be able to bring himself to go to the funeral. Other than that reason for not speaking, he needed to focus on not wrecking the car but still going as fast as he dared. At least the streets were almost completely deserted, so he didn't have to worry about other drivers all too much. 

Britain yelling warnings about Germany's driving while also somehow managing to still give him directions, lasted for about ten more minutes before they pulled up to a house. One story, a house that looked like every other on the block. The first and second house they visited hadn't been it, so now Britain's confidence was waning down. 

"Third time's a charm?" France offered, but Germany or Britain didn't seem to appreciate it much. Charm wasn't exactly on their side considering they snuck into each of the houses and each time risked getting caught by someone who might not be Italy's captor. The first house wasn't even occupied, so they escaped unscathed, but at the second house an angry old lady had nearly beat them to death with her purse when she found them snooping around her house. 

Germany put the car in park and got out as quickly as possible while still being quiet. They did that every house, just to make sure if it was the house where Italy was, they could keep the element of surprise. They snuck up to the front door, with only one interruption when France stepped on a thin twig and caused both Germany and Britain to jump.

"Sorry." He whispered when they looked back at him. 

Britain was the one who picked the lock. He found it surprisingly easier than the last two houses, which was odd since the first one wasn't even inhabited. They slipped inside as quietly as possible, and spread out. Germany saw a figure sleeping on the couch in the light of a TV, but couldn't make out much of him because his front was facing the couch side. He dismissed it and moved on.

He searched areas where he thought if this was the house Italy was in, where he might be. He searched for the better part of twenty minutes, before he found a door oddly placed among the hallway. He inched towards it, and when he tried to turn the knob, he discovered it was locked. He furrowed his brows, wondering why it would be locked. He found the only explanation to be the high possibility this was the right house, and Italy was somewhere behind that door. 

Germany looked around for Britain, but couldn't see him. He silently cursed and pulled on the knob again. It didn't budge. He searched his person for anything he could use to pick a lock, but found nothing. As much as he hated it, he had to go back and look for Britain. 

It took a few minutes, but Germany located the Brit and led him back to the door he had found. France wanted to tag along, but Germany insisted it was a better idea to at least have one person on that side of the door in case something went wrong. Reluctantly, he agreed, and just a minute later, the door unlocked with a click