Chapter 10

Britain and France crashed at Germany's place for the night from exhaustion, but left in the morning.

Germany couldn't sleep. He was too afraid Italy would suddenly wake up and start panicking, and he'd be asleep and unable to help until he woke up or Italy tried to wake him up. So, for hours, he did various things to stay awake. He stretched, jogged around, the usual things, but what usually kept him up the easiest was just looking at Italy's body.

As soon as Germany had gotten home, he bandaged Italy up. But, even with the bandages, it didn't hide everything. He wanted to put a shirt on him, but he found himself deciding against it so he could better keep an eye on the wounds. However, he did put some socks on him, and his jacket around him. The Italian still seemed rather cold even after that, but Germany didn't know what else he could do. He wanted to curl up next to the Italian from where he rested on Germany's bed, but decided it would be a bad idea.

Finally, as the sun was rising, and Germany was changing Italy's bandages, Italy began to stir. Germany froze, having about to take off another bandage, and recoiled his hands. He stepped back, steeling himself for what he knew was probably to come. 

Italy groggily opened his eyes, sitting up more from the chair Germany had temporarily set him in. They were in Germany's room, and he wondered how he would react. Italy's head turned slightly as he looked at his hands and the chair he was sitting in. The soft "spinny-chair" Italy loved to spin around in. The memory made Germany's heart clench.

Then, Italy's eyes moved ahead of him, and he stared at Germany. He moved his eyes to meet Germany's, and he furrowed his brows as if trying to focus. He guessed his vision was fuzzy. Then, his eyes widened. "G... Germany?" He whispered.

Germany nodded, a small smile twitching at his lips. "Italy."

Italy's face lit up with happiness, and he seemed eager to get up, but he suddenly decided against it, and then the happiness was replaced with sadness. Germany felt panicked, and he moved more towards Italy, kneeling down in front of him and going to grab his hand to try and comfort him. Why, he wasn't sure. 

The response killed Germany inside. Italy recoiled, yanking his hand away, and trying to back as far as he could into the chair to keep his distance from Germany. Germany froze, slowly standing back up and taking a step back. "I-I'm sorry if I startled you, Italy..." Germany apologized, his ears burning. He then tried to brainstorm why Italy would act the way he did, and remember the resemblance Germany held to Luther. "I'm... I'm not Luther. I'm not going to hurt you... I'd never hurt you." Germany whispered.

"He..." Italy whispered, and his eyes gathered with tears. Germany wanted to go over and hug him to make him feel better, but was afraid the sudden action would startle him. "He said... He said you didn't care... He said... You didn't even try to come after me... That I'd be forgotten and that no one c-cared..." Italy put a hand over his mouth and sobbed. 

This time Germany didn't really care about Italy suddenly being startled, but he was still cautious. He slowly knelt down, making sure he could see and gently held out his hand. "Italy." He said gently. Italy stared at Germany for a few minutes, and finally, still sobbing, he threw his arms around the German and sobbed into his shoulder.

Germany accepted the embrace and the chance to comfort the Italian. After a few minutes of him sobbing, Germany finally spoke up to him. "I did come after you." He whispered. "I chased him and chased him until I couldn't see him anymore. I spent the days searching for ways to find you, I couldn't sleep, I didn't eat much of anything... Italy, you're special. Other people may not see it but... To me... I... I can't forget you Italy. Even if I tried I would never be able to forget you. I..." There were a certain set of words trying to leave the German's mouth, but he couldn't find them. 

Italy's sobbing decreased into a gentle crying, and Germany lifted him up and lay him down on his bed, figuring he was growing tired. He moved to let him go and get up, but Italy didn't loosen his grip. "N-No... Please stay..." He whispered, looking up into the German's blue eyes. Germany hesitated, but complied. He sunk down onto the bed with the Italian, and pulled the covers over the two of them. They stared at each other for a while, before Italy spoke up.

"Germany?"

"Ja, Italy?"

"Are we friends?"

Germany arched a brow at the strange question. He nodded, which was odd since he was lying on his side. "Ja, Italy. Of course we're friends." 

Italy smiled and curled his arms around the larger nation, nuzzling his head into his chest. Germany felt his gut clench, and his cheeks flush. He didn't understand what he was feeling or why, and it bothered him. He looked at Italy's smiling face, and knew he wasn't asleep. He looked like he was still kind of tired, but not enough to fall asleep just yet. 

"Italy." Germany whispered. He heard something in his own voice he couldn't identify. 

"Mhm?" Italy asked, looking back up at him.

Germany remained silent as he stared into Italy's eyes. He was really there. He got him back, and he'd make sure to try and make him forget this hurt that he was feeling. Italy must of recognized something in Germany's expression, because he raised his head and kissed Germany's nose, "I'm right here, Germany... I'm not going anywhere." He whispered, and they once again continued staring at each other. 

After that, time seemed to become a blur. Germany barely recalled the things that took place, just bits and pieces. The sensation of Italy's lips, his skin, and images of his smiling face. Whatever happened, when Germany woke up, he found himself tangled up with Italy's own body, and feeling as if he had drank way too much beer, when he hadn't had a drop of alcohol the previous day. 

Whatever Germany felt for Italy, he began to accept it. He was just glad that he had his little pasta-loving Italian back.

There he was.

And there he'd stay.