July 8, 2024

Prompt: A shape-shifter has been alive for 500 years. They try not to shift, because each shift erases their memories. They have a partner and family. However, in a moment of danger, they have to choose between dying and shifting.

In the heart of a bustling city, hidden amongst the shadows, lived a shape-shifter who had walked the earth for over five centuries. Their name was Aria, and they lived a quiet, unassuming life with their partner, Marcus, and their two young children, Sofia and Liam.

Aria had learned long ago to control their shifting, knowing that with each transformation, a piece of their memories would be lost. They had seen empires rise and fall, watched history unfold before their very eyes, and yet, the fear of losing themselves kept them rooted in their human form.

But one fateful day, everything changed.

It was a dark and stormy night, the wind howling outside their small, cozy home. Aria had just tucked Sofia and Liam into bed when a loud crash echoed through the house. Marcus rushed to the window, his face pale with fear.

"There's someone outside," he whispered, his voice trembling.

Aria's heart raced as they listened to the sound of footsteps approaching the front door. Without a moment's hesitation, they knew what they had to do. With a deep breath, Aria closed their eyes and let the shifting magic take hold.

As their body contorted and twisted, Aria felt the familiar sensation of their memories slipping away. But this time, there was no fear, no regret. There was only the overwhelming need to protect their family at all costs.

When Aria opened their eyes, they were no longer human. In their place stood a magnificent beast, a creature of pure power and strength. With a roar that shook the very foundation of the house, Aria charged towards the intruder, ready to defend their loved ones with every ounce of their being.

The intruder turned out to be a group of hooded figures, their faces hidden in the darkness. They were armed with weapons, their intent clear. Aria fought with a ferocity they had never known before, their claws slashing through the air, their teeth bared in a menacing snarl.

But despite their best efforts, the attackers were relentless. Aria felt the sting of a blade slicing through their side, a cry of pain escaping their lips. Marcus rushed to their side, his hands trembling as he tried to staunch the flow of blood.

"We need to get you out of here," he whispered, his eyes wide with fear.

Aria shook their head, a determined glint in their eyes. "I won't leave you," they vowed, their voice filled with an unwavering resolve.

With a final burst of energy, Aria fought back with all their might. The attackers, realizing they were no match for the shape-shifter's power, retreated into the night, leaving behind a trail of destruction in their wake.

As the adrenaline faded and the pain began to seep through their body, Aria felt the familiar tug of the shifting magic. They knew they had a choice to make - to remain in their beast form and risk losing themselves forever, or to revert back to their human form and face the consequences of their actions.

But in that moment, Aria knew what they had to do. With one last roar that echoed through the night, they shifted back into their human form, the memories of their beastly transformation fading away like a distant dream.

As the first rays of dawn broke through the clouds, Aria and their family stood together, bruised and battered but alive. They knew that their lives would never be the same, that the events of that night would forever change them.

But through it all, one thing remained constant - the unbreakable bond of love and loyalty that held them together, stronger than any magic or danger could ever hope to break. And as they stood united in the face of adversity, Aria knew that no matter what the future held, they would always choose to protect their family, no matter the cost.