Chapter 29

A piece of the past...

Dannie was with her friends at Art District, including Troy and Dean's band, Anon. Though she enjoyed the music, she was not enjoying Troy's obvious fascination toward Nikki, Dean's cousin and the band's new vocalist. He was almost throwing himself at her it was getting annoying. George seemed to have a problem and had been drinking nonstop but didn't want to go home. Jackie was executing some crazy plans of her Dannie didn't want to be a part of.

She finally decided she'd go home and when not one of her friends wanted to come back to the apartment with her, she stood up saying, "Fine. I'll go."

Troy immediately stood up as well and she stared at him. "Where are you going?" she asked.

"I'll take you home," he answered.

"No, you're not."

"Yes, I am," he uttered, already fishing for his keys.

"No, I'll go home alone. I can manage."

"He's taking you, Dannie. Period. Or you'll stay here until we're all ready to go home," Jackie pointed out firmly.

Dannie assessed the situation. With Jackie wanting to have more time with Dean and George with her mysterious problem, no one was going home in a few hours. She sighed. "Fine. Faster, Brady."

"Yes, teacher Danica," Troy said, bowing and throwing his arm sideways as she passed by.

"Stop that! What the hell is wrong with you?" She wasn't sure why she was more annoyed at him than usual.

"Hey, I'm doing you a big favor here," Troy said as they walked away from the group and toward Tata.

Dannie did not answer.

"Why are you pissed?" he asked once they started driving back to the apartment.

"I'm not. Who told you I am?"

"It's pretty obvious, Danica," he jested.

"It's nothing. And you should know that I could have taken myself home. You didn't have to take me. I know you were busy."

"Busy with what?"

"Nikki. Be careful, Brady, she's Dean's cousin."

"Hey, I am just fond of her, that's all."

"You are fond of a lot of women."

"Yeah, except you. You're such a spoiler."

She did not answer. Yeah, why was she even spoiling everyone's fun? She stole Troy a look and mentally shook her head. After their years of friendship, was she falling for Troy Brady?

No, it can't be, she thought. And if she'd ever fall for him, it would have to be her own little secret.

PRESENT DAY

"I'll come with you," he uttered without hesitation.

"What?"

"I'll go with you. I can't allow you to face that woman alone, Danica."

"Troy, I'll do it alone. This is my issue to face."

"Who said you have to face it alone?"

"Me." She said it so firmly that Troy did not bother to push her.

"But you'll call or text if you need anything, right?" he asked, his voice full of apprehension.

"Yes, I will. I have to go to sleep. You should too."