𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻

Aiko

Aiko

Aiko woke up drenched in cold sweat, her heart pounding like a fucking jackhammer. Her breathing came in ragged gasps, and her head spun as if she'd just come off a roller coaster. She sat up in bed, her tears blurring her vision, trying to shake off the remnants of the nightmare.

In the dream, her mother—her beautiful, loving mother—had been there, standing behind a counter in the lobby of Genetech Industries. The sight of her was a beacon of hope, but that hope was shattered in an instant. Neomorphs had appeared, ripping her mother apart. Aiko's screams of terror echoed through her dreamscape, her hands reaching out, but she could do nothing but watch in horror as the creature devoured her mom.

The nightmare was too vivid, too raw. She clutched at her chest, struggling to steady her breathing. Sleep was impossible now, her mind replaying the horrific images over and over. She needed to get out of that room, to escape the confines of her bed where the nightmare had taken hold.

She slipped out of bed, shivering as she padded into the kitchen. She filled a glass with water, the cool liquid soothing against her parched throat. She sipped slowly, trying to calm her nerves, when she noticed a faint glow through the kitchen window. Smoke? Confused, she set the glass down and headed outside.

There, leaning against the wall of the house, was Heeseung, puffing away on a cigarette. His eyes were half-closed, a thoughtful expression on his face. When he saw Aiko approaching, he raised an eyebrow, his cigarette dangling from his lips.

"You're up late," Heeseung said, his voice a bit rough from the smoke. "Couldn't sleep?"

Aiko nodded, rubbing her arms to ward off the chill. "Yeah. I... had a nightmare. It was awful. I couldn't get back to sleep."

Heeseung flicked the ashes from his cigarette and took a drag, his eyes narrowing slightly as he studied her. "You look like shit. What was the nightmare about?"

Aiko hesitated, but the vulnerability in her voice was too strong to ignore. "It was about my mom. I saw her at Genetech Industries, and then neomorphs attacked her. They... they tore her apart. I just watched, helpless."

Heeseung's expression softened, a flicker of empathy crossing his features. "Shit, Aiko. That sounds like a fucking nightmare."

She nodded, tears welling up again. "She's all I have. She's been there for me through everything. My first day of school, my first kiss, my first breakup. She's always been there. And in the dream, I couldn't save her."

Heeseung crushed out the cigarette, his gaze fixed on her with an intensity that was rare for him. "I get it. Family's important. You don't have to tell me that. I'm sure she means the world to you."

Aiko wiped her eyes, her voice cracking. "She does. And... I need to be there for her. I can't lose her. I won't."

Heeseung stepped closer, his tone softening even further. "Look, I know I'm not exactly the 'comforting' type, but I get it. Family is everything. I've seen what happens when it falls apart, and it's not pretty."

Aiko looked at him, surprised by his sudden openness. "You... you've lost family too?"

Heeseung shrugged, a rare show of vulnerability. "Yeah, something like that. It's not the same as what you're going through, but I understand the weight of it. I'll do everything I can to help you find your mom and make sure she's safe."

Aiko let out a shaky breath, a small smile tugging at her lips. "Thank you. I didn't expect you to be so... understanding."

Heeseung smirked, though there was a softness in his eyes. "Don't get used to it. I'm still a jackass most of the time."

Aiko chuckled despite herself. "Well, you're a surprisingly decent jackass tonight."

Heeseung raised an eyebrow, his smirk widening. "I'll take that as a compliment. So, what's with this whole 'better to get along at night' thing?"

Aiko laughed softly, shaking her head. "I don't know. It's like, when the sun goes down, everything feels a little less intense. And you don't seem as much of a pain in the ass at night."

Heeseung snorted. "Good to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. Maybe we should start having these late-night talks more often."

Aiko nodded, feeling a bit more at ease. "Yeah, maybe. It's... kind of nice to have someone to talk to."

Heeseung looked at her for a moment, then nodded. "Alright, let's call it a night. We've got shit to deal with tomorrow. But if you need to talk again, you know where to find me."

Aiko gave him a grateful smile. "Thanks, Heeseung. For everything."

Heeseung returned the smile, though it was brief. "Yeah, yeah. Now go get some sleep before I start thinking you're trying to keep me up all night with your emotional baggage."

Aiko laughed, shaking her head as she headed back inside. "Goodnight, Heeseung."

Heeseung watched her go, a thoughtful expression on his face. For once, the walls he usually kept up seemed a bit lower. Maybe, just maybe, they were starting to understand each other better. As Aiko headed back to bed, the nightmare's weight still lingered, but the warmth of their conversation was a small comfort.

Heeseung took one last look at the moon before heading inside, a faint smile on his lips. It was a small, fragile thing, but it was there. Maybe things weren't so bad after all.

The night was quiet as they both settled back into their routines, a fragile peace settling over them.

➶ ➴ ➶ ➴➶ ➴➶

Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts.

©enhaheart

2024 © All Rights Reserved