Chapter Two: A Mission

Bruce never got that chance, as that very morning the Avengers were sent on a new mission, a simple terrorist op with ties to old HYRDA opperatives, causing havoc down in Mexico. Iron Man, Black Widow, and Hawkeye were elected to go, and without a thought they were suited up and ready for action.

"Alight guys standard smoke em and burn em tactic." Stark's voice came over their earpieces.

"Let me guess, you want us to smoke them out..."

"So you can turn them to ash." Clint finished for his partner, both sharing a look with each other before turing to the man in the suit.

"Well now that you asked, that would be so helpful.. Don't let any of them get off the freeway." Tony answered, before the faceplate flipped down and he rocketed off into the air, leaving the two behind.

"You got this covered Hawkeye?" Natasha asked watching as he free climbed up the side of a building.

"Yeah, go round em up Nat." He answered, she nodded and jumped into her bike, shooting off without another word.

Above her she could hear Tony's rockets going off above her, and the rattle of returning gun fire. She used her bike to swerve the shots that came to close, returning fire at the men stationed behind over turned cars.

"Nat! Watch out! You've got two bogeys coming your way, both on bikes!" Clint's voice came through to her. She smirked, she could just hear the sound of two more engines coming up behind her. Natasha waited until they were close, almost alongside her, then she put on the breaks.

The two HYRDA men nearly lost control, and Natasha stopped for a moment watching to see what they'd to, when they spun around on one wheel and charged towards her she had to grin.

"Let's play a game." She said, before copying their motion and making it look for all the world like she was fleeing.

The three bikes flew across the basically deserted highway, the hot air snapping against them. One bike gained on her, and she turned her head to see the HYDRA man had a taser out, ready to slap against her. She slowed her bike just a little bit giving her more control, then lashed out. Her legs connecting with the side of his helmeted head, he stumbled, but grabbed for her legs, succeeding in catching a hold of her ankle, and for a moment the two were locked together, with the second bike gaining on then.

Natasha suceeded in raming her bike against his. and he lost his grip. She pulled her leg back and switched grip on the handle bars. She swung her legs around the opposite way, hitting him straight in the face. He lost control and crashed into the divider, his bike going up in flames just a little ahead of her.

The bike was totaled, but the driver apparently managed to jump off, because a moment later he was rolling ot a stop, pulling his cracked helmet off of his head.

Natasha glanced back to see if he was a threat, and all at once it felt like the ground had opened up beneath her.

"Alexi?" She whispered, it was his face, older, leaner, tougher, but she could never forget that face. He locked eyes with her and for a moment they stared, Natasha forgetting she was on a moving motorbike.

She was brought out of her self imposed trace when she was suddenly rammed from the back. She lost control, and was forced over an overturned car, The next thing she saw was the overpass and the fact she was going off it. She tried to jump off the bike, but everything happened too fast, and the next thing she knew she saw the ground coming at her.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tasha?" She thought she heard her name being called, and she fought against the blackness that was holding her down.

"Natasha!" The voice called again, louder more urgent this time. Finally with far too much effort she opened her eyes.

"Natasha!"

"Clint?" She questioned, her voice was weak, and confused.

"Nat, Nat turn your head, look at me." She did as she was instructed, and that was when she realized she was on the asphalt of the road below, her bike and body in a trangled mess on top of her. Clint was looking down at her, concern stamped on his face.

"I'm going to get you out of there, hold on okay?" He told her, standing up and digging his feet into the ground so he could gain some traction. Natasha cried out when he moved it, then bit her lip until he had righted the bike one again. Clint crouched down next to her, his hand gingerly touching her shoulder.

"You lost focus for a second there Romanoff." He commented, giving her a small smile before glancing up at the sound of rockets. Tony landed off to the side and walked over to them.

"Three rats managed to escape because we didn't have a point man watching, but the rest are all taken care of... Is she alive?" He asked, his faceplate flipping up and coming towards them.

"Come closer and I'll show you just how alive." Natasha growled, only to hiss in pain when she tried to stand up.

"Uhuh, yeah I'm gonna round up our new friends. Have fun Barton." And with that Iron Man was off again. Clint watched as he left, shaking his head before turning back to her.

"Bad isn't it?" He asked, noting she remained in the same positon.

"I've seen worse." She answered, glaring at him. He sighed, and carefully sat her up, the arm she could move going around his neck as he picked her up. Once she was situated in his arms he began walking toward the extraction point.

A few hours later Natasha was resting on one of the couches in Stark Tower, but her request. Her wrist was in a cast, the side of her head was taped up. Her ribs were cinched up tight, and her ankle also had a cast.

"Well one thing's for sure, when you mess up, you do it spectacularly."