Chapter 1: Resolve

Sophia gave me the same chilly gaze, but there was something else. It was skepticism. She was skeptical of me for some reason. Did my compliment come off as overly fake? Maybe it was too obvious. It's difficult to be admiring towards the person you despise the most.

"What is it, Elder Sister?" I inquired in a pleasant tone, smiling calmly at her. "Amon, you appear to be slightly different... It's as if you've become someone else entirely. But we will get into that later. Father and Mother have summoned us for a formal meeting." Sophia stated in an icy tone and gave me an icy glance. "Let me guess, it's the meeting for who's going to be the next head of the family?" I stated gently, smiling at her.

I guessed what I stated was accurate based on the little shift in her demeanour. But it also gave me the idea that she didn't anticipate it. It seems reasonable. Amon was innocent until he became corrupted by the Final Boss Ability, [Sinner's Desire].

We then both exited the room and made our way to the location where the meeting was scheduled. The Crown Family, especially for a Noble Family, is absurdly affluent, in my opinion. I suppose it makes sense for the Heroine's Girlfriend to be a 'Dommy Mommy' who is also ridiculously wealthy.

The plot of the novel 'Forbidden Love of Two Maidens' is fairly simple. Sophia Von Crown, the Heroine's Girlfriend, fell in love with her because she was the only one who was 'nice' to her and truly understood her. Sophia's feelings for the heroine became stronger the more she affiliated with her. Finally, she proposed to the Heroine, who accepted her proposal.

You might be asking why the word 'Forbidden Love' appears in this novel. This is due to the novel's world setting. Females are entrusted with the most significant jobs in society. It's a world governed by the Matriarchy Social System. In terms of social prestige, women have the most influence. Furthermore, in this world, lesbian relationships are considered forbidden. If a girl is found to be a lesbian, she will be killed instantly. Status and power will not protect her.

This novel is a story about two lesbians showing us that love knows no bounds and it would always find a way to prevail... which is absolute bullshit. Not only that, but Amon Von Crown became the Final Boss because of Sophia. Amon is Sophia's younger brother. He adored his elder sister. But Sophia continued to disregard and ignore him. Amon eventually gave in to the [Sinner's Desire]. He just wanted to be recognized by his elder sister. But she ignored him and kept telling him that he wasn't good enough for anything he accomplished.

The reason why I hate this damn novel so much is because of how shitty the final conclusion of it is. "Love knows no bounds and it will always prevail." What a fucking hypocrisy. Not only that, but the author of this work was someone I knew well. Katerina Belyaeva, the author of 'Forbidden Love of Two Maidens', was one of my closest acquaintances in my previous life, and she knew me pretty well. As a result, she determined to create the entire novel only to irritate and offend me. After reading her story, I developed a personal hatred of Yuri novels and other Yuri-related material.

The fact that Katerina based Amon entirely on me made me loathe this story even more. Furthermore, she made Amon the Final Boss solely to inflict additional emotional torment on me.

Anyway, after about 5 minutes of walking, we arrived at the location where my 'parents' and we siblings were meant to meet. Sophia remained silent the entire time. She was quietly strolling ahead of me. From my perspective, she appeared to be anxious about something, but I chose not to inquire. After all, the person who will desert me in the future deserves absolutely no pity from me.

When we got inside, I discovered we were in the Dining Hall of the Crown Family's Mansion. It was incredibly big. Furthermore, the Dining Hall was more tastefully designed than a five-star hotel. We were greeted kindly by a group of maids and butlers.

"Ah, Amon and Sophia. You have finally arrived. Come, have a seat, and enjoy your lunch." Said a powerful female voice. I nearly gasped when I looked at her. It was Emilia Von Crown, the Crown Family's current leader. She's in her forties and appears remarkably identical to Sophia, although her eyes are blue instead of cyan. She's a very attractive woman. Sophia acquired her personality from her mother, Emilia, as indicated in the novel. Like mother, like daughter.

Sophia and I sat across from each other. After taking our seats, we waited patiently for our meals to be served. However, I had other thoughts. If I'm not wrong, Emilia is going to discuss the approaching succession duel. It will happen in a week from now. I thought as I glanced at my dish, which now included a delicious-looking steak ready to be devoured.

"Mother, why have you called us so early for lunch? We generally have lunch around 2 p.m., but it is now 1 p.m. Did you wish to speak with us about the Duel for Succession?" Sophia inquired impatiently, glancing at Emilia with a curious gaze. Emilia chuckled softly when she heard her. She seemed to have expected this inquiry. "Yes, dear. I wanted to speak with you both about the Duel for Succession. You see—"

Before she could finish, I interrupted her with my own remarks. "Mother, I do not understand why the duel should take place. I have no intention of competing with Elder Sister for the title of Head of the Crown Family. It's a complete waste of time." I stated gently, my attention concentrated on relishing the steak presented to me. Sophia was taken aback by what I said, and Emilia smirked. "Oh? So you don't want the honour of being the Crown Family's Head? I hope you are speaking carefully because the Crown Family is the most powerful in the entire Kingdom of Riversong. I am sure you are aware of that, Amon." Emilia spoke in a pleased and playful tone.

She seemed to think of me as an idiot who had gone insane, but I was well aware of what I was saying. "Mother, I feel that Power without Freedom is meaningless and dull. Because when you are given the gift of freedom, you should do all in your ability to keep it and never give it up, even if it means gaining more power. Giving up Freedom for Power... That type of stuff makes me no different than a slave. A slave is compelled to give up their freedom and obey their master's demands, even if it means their death. Now, suppose I win the fight against Elder Sister and become the head of the Crown Family. What then? What happens to me? I'd have to go to any length to establish myself as a worthy and powerful leader, and I'd be forced to. Doesn't that sound like something a slave would do to comply with their master's orders?" I spoke calmly and smiled at Emilia, who appeared to be thrilled.

"But you get to boss around people and do whatever you want, isn't that enough to make up for your lack of 'freedom'?" She inquired teasingly, looking at me with the same smile she had previously. "I want to enjoy the basic things in life. Things that make me happy and please me. And I'd only gain the power to safeguard my freedom. That's it." I started those things calmly as I rose from my seat and exited the dining hall. Sophia remained speechless during the conversation. She couldn't believe what she heard. I suppose it seems logical, given that she has never seen Amon speak with such clarity. To her, Amon is a subservient and weak-willed younger brother who can be easily discarded.

| You have received a New Task from the System |

My status window had been updated with a notice. This world, like other Isekai Novels, featured a Status Window, and there was something called the 'System', which regulates the world's rules and notifies significant events. However, it does one more thing. The 'System' assigns tasks to individuals who are judged 'worthy' by it, and once completed, the 'System' rewards them with abilities, weapons, gears, and so on. Simply said, it favours a small group of people.
If I recall properly, Katerina informed me that the 'System' exclusively favours those who have been reborn or brought into this world from another world. Because there is a person in this tale who was transferred from another world, but Katerina never revealed who it was. Not to me, nor in the story. I suppose I'll have to think about it later.

'Let's see what the notification is about...' I thought to myself when I hit the Status Window's Notification icon. I had apparently been assigned a duty that required me to read and remember 100 books in a week. 'What the hell?! 100 books?!' Completely taken aback, I decided to read the Task again. I could have misinterpreted the quantity. But no matter how hard I gazed at it, nothing changed.

'Does the System believe I'm a supercomputer or something?! What the hell's wrong with it?!' I shouted in my thoughts as I facepalmed. I then proceeded to look at the task completion prizes, which completely explained why this assignment was so ludicrous. 'Huh? Completing the task rewards you with a [Mark of the Sword], 25k Experience Points, and a Skill... wait... what...?' My brain had temporarily stopped working due to what I had just read. The reason for this is the [Mark of the Sword]. In this world, a 'Mark' is regarded as very special. Because individuals with a 'Mark' are in a completely different league than those without one. A 'Mark' largely increases one's Magic Reserve and Magic Power. However, this is only relevant to standard marks. There are additional unique Marks, and Sophia receives one of these throughout the novel. The [Mark of the Orca] boosted her physical strength and senses while also enhancing her Magical Reserve and Magic Power.

'The task is difficult, but the benefits are well worth the effort. I should attempt to finish this task. After all, I have a trick under my sleeve that might be quite useful.' I thought to myself as I took a deep breath and walked towards the Mansion's Library.

'I don't care what I need to do. I will do whatever it takes to protect my freedom. In this life, I will be the one to make decisions for myself, not others. And I will undoubtedly demolish this novel's ludicrous narrative and ending. After all, I'm not dying for some trash script.' I promised myself as I walked towards the library. And this promise will undoubtedly affect a lot of things.