Normalcy

My joy was short lived. The tunnel that had magically transferred us to Georgia disappeared with a sweep of Andrey's hand and the reality of the situation came hurling back. Call it pessimism, but I was all too sure that I was not out of the clear.

"Hey," his pale fingers familiarly entwined themselves with my dark ones, "Everything is fine."

"Yeah," I swept my free hand through my tangled hair nervously and faked a smile, "I'm great, really, I am."

I took a deep breath, smiled, and awkwardly gazed at him. I thought I could fool myself into believing that he was telling the truth. I wanted to believe in this beautiful man with an even more beautiful soul and spirit. His hair had grown longer, and his face wasn't as clean shaven as it usually was. He looked more and more like his brother, and that terrified me.

If he noticed me watching him, he didn't react. He was lost in a world of his own.

Thirty minutes later Chad opened what I guessed to be his apartment door and rushed us in.

"Chad?"

It hadn't taken us long to find the apartment that Andrey had claimed would be our resting spot for the night. I'd suggested a hotel maybe, or at the very least a cab to get us there instead of walking. I was out of my senses completely. He told me how quicker it would be for them to find us if he got a hotel or even a cab.

But when we'd arrived at the apartment I was confused. Who was it that was taking us in?

Now I knew.

"We can't be here," I had already started walking towards the door when a heavy hand fell on my shoulder.

Andrey sank into the beige LaZboy armchair beside the door and rubbed his face, "It's just until we figure out where to take you next Ef."

Chad, my heavy handed friend, rounded about until he was facing me and placed his other hand on my free shoulder, "I'm ok with it Effie."

"You don't understand," millions and billions of tears brimmed over my bottom lids.

"I do," he smiled and pulled me into his warm body, "family is family. We take care of our own."

Why couldn't he understand? And why was Andrey dozing off as we spoke?

Why was I the only one who understood the gravity of the situation? We were up against Ivaylo and Ivanna, a mad man and a vindictive woman. I couldn't put Chad through that.

"Chad," I sobbed, "You gotta listen to me. It's not safe...I can't put you through that."

"I'm a big boy, aren't I Andy?"

Andrey snored.

I pushed away and waved my arms around, "Are you nuts? What makes you think they won't come here?"

"That's a risk I'm willing to take."

"Idiots," In full on panic mode, I sank onto the nearest leveled surface and held my head between my palms, "Idiots. Fucking idiots."

I appreciated it, I really did, but...seriously? As much as I wanted to be free, I didn't want to step on others to get that freedom. I wanted it the right way...

I swore out loud.

It was too late for me to get it the right way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------