Chapter 2 - part 2

It was just after three in the afternoon when the chaise arrived at Gracechurch Street. Elizabeth was awash with the same feeling of contentment she always felt upon arriving at her Uncle's home.  The well maintained two story dwelling was not unique in the neighborhood, but the cheerful tulips and snowdrops lining the walkway gave it a welcoming aura that set it apart from many of its neighbors.

 Elizabeth was greeted with warm smiles and enthusiastic embraces from Jane and Mrs. Gardiner. She climbed the steps while sneaking a peek over her shoulder.  Though she knew it to be foolish, she was looking for Mr. Darcy.  She scanned the area and when nothing seemed out of the ordinary, she headed inside, unable to determine if she was more relieved or disappointed by his absence.  She gave herself a mental reprimand and steeled her mind against thinking on anything except her reunion with Jane.

A servant assisted her in removing her traveling coat and bonnet while Elizabeth took a moment to examine her sister closely.  Jane had lost weight since she had last seen her, not so severely as to affect the fit of her gown, but enough for Elizabeth to notice.  Her countenance was wan and her smile seemed spiritless, though she did greet Elizabeth with real feeling and genuine happiness for her arrival.

Elizabeth imparted a concerned look to her aunt who shrugged and shook her head. 

She could not refrain from embracing her sister once again.  "Oh, Jane, I have missed you so much."

"And I you, Lizzy."

Elizabeth stepped back from the embrace and held both of Jane's hands in hers as she gave her sister an anxious gaze.  "Jane, please, tell me honestly, are you well?"

 "I am well, just a little tired as I am sure you are.  Come, let us get you settled then you can have all the time in the world to assure yourself of my wellbeing."

Mrs. Gardiner agreed, "Yes, I am sure that you are a bit road weary and would like a chance to get out of your traveling clothes and freshen up a bit.  Jane, please ask Martha to prepare a tray of refreshments and send it to Lizzy's room." 

 "That sounds like a wonderful idea.  I shall retire, and when next you see me I will regale you with all the news of Kent." Perhaps not all Elizabeth thought, but enough had happened during her visit with Charlotte that she could spend the evening in pleasant conversation with her relatives without revealing matters that must remain secret from all save Jane.

Mrs. Gardiner signaled Lizzy to follow her to the nursery where her youngest, three year old Claire, had fallen asleep in her nanny's arms.  Elizabeth smiled at the scene before her and moved closer to plant a gentle kiss on the child's cheek.  The nanny tucked the child in and left the room at Mrs. Gardiner's signal. 

Taking a seat on the edge of Claire's bed she began, "Aunt, I am worried about Jane.  She is thinner than when we parted and her smiles seem forced. I cannot see that her spirits are at all improved since she left Longbourn.  "

Mrs. Gardiner frowned slightly before responding.  "Lizzy, Jane has suffered in a way that perhaps you cannot understand. You have not yet met the young man that would allow you to give your heart away.  Until that time comes you will not understand your sister's grief."

A slight blush tinged Elizabeth's cheeks as she thought about Mr. Darcy.  "Perhaps I cannot understand exactly what she is feeling, but I do not like to see her so unhappy.  I have been grieved myself on account of her gloom."

"It speaks well of you, Lizzy that you care so deeply for your sister,  but you must not allow yourself to worry so much that you too become despondent. This is a matter that Jane must come to terms with in her own way and in her own time.  The best way to be of service to Jane is to be as you have always been – lively, happy and teasing.  Jane will recover."