18

A/n: I actually really enjoyed writing this chapter :) hope you like it <333

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Arriving in front of the dimly lit place, we realized that it wasn't a store or a house, but rather a motel reception with a desk and couches. Harry led the way and opened the door, which chimed. When I tried to follow him, he let the door slide closed on me.

Dick.

The door was about to snap shut on my face, but I quickly stopped it with my foot, not surprised by his behavior. Rolling my eyes facing his back, we stopped in front of the desk made of old wood, with dirty and slightly torn couches. There were two other doors on each side of the room. The weak lights didn't illuminate the place much. The creaking floor was made of the same old brown wood as the desk. An old man sat behind the desk in an armchair, his feet resting on the desk as he read magazines. Hearing the door chime, he placed the grey magazine on the table and put his feet back on the floor. He wore brown overalls with a white shirt, and was half bald with maroon hair around his ears, and a beige shiny skull in the middle.

"Good evening, how can I help you?" he asked kindly, making me feel a bit of relief about the motel. It literally looked haunted to me giving goosebumps at its sight.

It seemed very old and dirty. We had entered with the store purpose of asking for directions back to Las Vegas. I assumed this little town was a run-down place, old and close to a desert. Maybe if we continued straight on the road, we would eventually get back to Las Vegas?

"We actually got lost, sir. Do you know how we can find our way back to Las Vegas?" I politely asked the stranger in front of us, with Harry standing to my right, arms crossed. "Las Vegas?" he repeated, looking surprised. "It's just a twenty-minute drive if you continue straight on the road."

Just a twenty-minute drive? We could walk back home then.

"Can we walk?" I asked. He furrowed his eyebrows for a moment. "Walking would be very risky. The route is sandy and uneven, with holes in the ground and no pavement on the sides. In my opinion, driving there would be much better but still risky just like walking."

Harry and I exchanged a glance, contemplating his answer. What would we do if we couldn't walk? We would have to wait for Niall and the others to come get us tomorrow, if we didn't walk back to the van.

My bones felt weak from tiredness and my eyes felt heavy. I wouldn't be able to make it walking back there. "Isn't there another road to Las Vegas?" Harry asked with his deep voice, catching the old man's attention.

"There is a route that divides leaving our old town towards the desert, leading to Las Vegas," he informed us. "But the drive there takes approximately thirty minutes, so it would surely take longer to walk."

I could sense that he understood our situation. We were tired and just wanted to get back home. I must have looked like a sleepwalker from all the exhaustion. Harry had a stoic expression, rarely showing emotions on his face or in his body language.

I never got to see another side if him. He either looked serious or shared a smirk with Niall about something.

I turned to Harry and whispered, "What are we going to do?" He took a moment before turning to me, staring for a second, then looking back at the man. The man had a clueless expression, mirroring our confusion about how to get back home.

"That's a motel here, right?" Harry asked, standing tall with his arms at his sides.

"Yes, do you want to reserve a room?" the man responded, gesturing towards a key on the desk. Harry accepted the key and asked, "How much for a night?"